•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Attempt at the Veil Nebula

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

Hey all- I took this shot from my bortle 4.5 backyard last night. I fought with very poor guiding all night (which deserves its own thread) so only ended up with 90 minutes of integration time. I am still quite new at this whole AP thing (~2 months) so any and all criticism is welcome. I feel like I may have stretched the data a bit too hard but I felt it was necessary in order to show some color. Check out the Astrobin link for full-size image.

Equipment:

ES80mm FCD100

EQ6-R Pro

Orion 0.80x reducer

Nikon D5300 unmodded

asi120mm mini

Sharpcap for polar alignment

PHD2 

Backyard Nikon

Astrotortilla

Astro Pixel Processor

Lightroom

Thanks for looking.

https://www.astrobin...4843/0/?nc=user

Attached Thumbnails

• Veil 16x9 19.7.10 small.jpg

• zjc26138, elmiko, Jerome Ni and 6 others like this

#2 hherbson

hherbson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

Hi Durak,

I think it looks great.  Nice wispy details, and I don't notice any noise.  I just posted the Crescent pic in the other thread, and I pushed it WAY too far, but just for fun wanted to make the colors pop.   I'm about 2 months into this as well.  The fact that I keep switching software isn't helping me any either....

I just got a UHC filter, and I'm looking forward to trying it out once the sky cooperates.

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by hherbson, 11 July 2019 - 08:10 PM.

• durak likes this

#3 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hi Durak,

I think it looks great.  Nice wispy details, and I don't notice any noise.  I just posted the Crescent pic in the other thread, and I pushed it WAY too far, but just for fun wanted to make the colors pop.   I'm about 2 months into this as well.  The fact that I keep switching software isn't helping me any either....

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well the D5300 handles noise. Even at a balmy 75 degrees last night. 

I have been keeping an eye on your thread to see what others do with your data. I am steering clear of Pixinsight for the time being as the learning curve (and the hardware requirements) seem a bit daunting. I've found APP to be quite adequate and surprisingly intuitive. 

#4 hherbson

hherbson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:33 PM

I'll have to give APP a look, thanks!   I should have steered clear of Pixinsight.   It was an impulse buy........  Now I feel like I need to get my moneys worth.  Oh well, that's why the good Lord made overtime.....

I've spent my free time today (and still have a lot left to go) making Darks.  Different resolutions, different gains, different exposure times......  Learning as I go.  Glad I found CN, this place is a gold mine.

Edited by hherbson, 11 July 2019 - 08:38 PM.

• durak likes this

#5 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

I'll have to give APP a look, thanks!   I should have steered clear of Pixinsight.   It was an impulse buy........  Now I feel like I need to get my moneys worth.  Oh well, that's why the good Lord made overtime.....

They offer a free trial. Try it out. I use it to integrate and do some basic stretching then I take the product to Lightroom for a few final tweeks.

Obviously, I am no pro but I like it a lot for its simplicity.

#6 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

I think it looks good. I don't think you pushed it too hard. I think you could have pushed it more, to bring up the brightness of the nebula a little more. I don't notice any noise in the image, so I think you still had more room to stretch.

• durak and Jerome Ni like this

#7 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:14 PM

I think it looks good. I don't think you pushed it too hard. I think you could have pushed it more, to bring up the brightness of the nebula a little more. I don't notice any noise in the image, so I think you still had more room to stretch.

Interesting. Maybe I will give it another go. I said that I thought I overstretched it because I stretched it harder than any of my other images. Thanks a lot for your feedback!

#8 AstronoDon

AstronoDon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Connecticut, US

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

You can definitely stretch it more with proper noise management. I'm not sure what ISO you used but we have basically the same exact setup apart from main imaging scope brand. Here's my attempt a few days ago with an hour total integration, 4 min subs @ ISO 400. 

cygnus loop 7 9 19

I definitely am on the opposite end of the spectrum and pushed the image too far but I wanted to see what was in there. I need to get a couple more hours at least before I can finish this image.

#9 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

You can definitely stretch it more with proper noise management. I'm not sure what ISO you used but we have basically the same exact setup apart from main imaging scope brand. Here's my attempt a few days ago with an hour total integration, 4 min subs @ ISO 400. 

I definitely am on the opposite end of the spectrum and pushed the image too far but I wanted to see what was in there. I need to get a couple more hours at least before I can finish this image.

I used ISO200 with 180 second subs. I am going to stretch my image harder when I get some time this weekend. 

I think your shot is great. I'd love to see it after a few more hours of integration time.

#10 AstronoDon

AstronoDon

Vostok 1

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

I used ISO200 with 180 second subs. I am going to stretch my image harder when I get some time this weekend.

I think your shot is great. I'd love to see it after a few more hours of integration time.

Thanks! Will definitely be adding more data as the moon goes away.

Your skies are about half a bortle level darker than mine so idk what your histogram levels looked like at 3 minutes but if it's above 1/3 the histogram you should have lots of data to pull out. The d5300 is definitely a powerful camera as a stock dslr. I've had little issue with noise even at higher Temps.
  • durak likes this

#11 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:29 AM

Thanks! Will definitely be adding more data as the moon goes away.

Your skies are about half a bortle level darker than mine so idk what your histogram levels looked like at 3 minutes but if it's above 1/3 the histogram you should have lots of data to pull out. The d5300 is definitely a powerful camera as a stock dslr. I've had little issue with noise even at higher Temps.

My plan was to go 240 or even 300 seconds at 200iso but my tracking was lacking so I settled on 180. In hindsight, I probably should have raised my ISO to 400. undecided.gif

#12 AstronoDon

AstronoDon

Vostok 1

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:46 PM

My plan was to go 240 or even 300 seconds at 200iso but my tracking was lacking so I settled on 180. In hindsight, I probably should have raised my ISO to 400. undecided.gif

Yeah with my Gt81, d5300, and IDAS cls filter 240 seconds at ISO 400 barely puts me where I want my histogram in my bortle 5 skies. At 200 I'd probably have to go another minute roughly I'd guess.

#13 durak

durak

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:47 PM

Yeah with my Gt81, d5300, and IDAS cls filter 240 seconds at ISO 400 barely puts me where I want my histogram in my bortle 5 skies. At 200 I'd probably have to go another minute roughly I'd guess.

Ah, the filter may be the difference(?)

Any way you could send me a link to the filter you use (assuming you are happy with it)? Also, did you take that picture of the North America nebula using your unmodded d5300?

#14 AstronoDon

AstronoDon

Vostok 1

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

Ah, the filter may be the difference(?)

Any way you could send me a link to the filter you use (assuming you are happy with it)? Also, did you take that picture of the North America nebula using your unmodded d5300?

Yes! That's my first photo with my new Gt81 and EQ6-R.

Here's the link to the filter. I got the LPS-D1

https://astrohutech....ct/nikon-aps-c/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics