•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Futur project adding second fork Nexstar 8se

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Walliut

Walliut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:43 PM

Hi
Before I dig in my project, I would like to know if anybody have already did this. I plan to build a second arm on my Nexstar8se I want to do that for : add stability, spread the weight and make a kind of build in accessories.

I want to remove the AA battery compartment and the 2 port from the base. Inside the second fork, I will make a space to fit in my talented 6000 battery pack( route the power cable inside the mount) relocate the 2 aux port on this arm( plug face the outside) split the aux port and install my sky portal in the arm. I will add 2 output 12v jack on that arm too ( for accessories like dew heater and other)

I think I can did that in a way that I can take everything off and get it back to original.

I will do a machining aluminum brace and bolt on thru 4 hole that i will do and tread on the base. With the OEM cover and AA battery compartment remove, it will give more space for the focal reducer and 2in diagonal ( I think its better for gear and motor to did that then use a extended bar and add on counter weiht) I have access to a 3d printer. I will print a new base cover and a cover for the new arm.
For the arm I was thinking to mouth a ball bearing on the top with a dovetails bar. I don't know exactly how I gonna fix it on the OTA cause. It will need to be pretty aligned if I want the bar fixe on the OTA. If not it will stress the OTA... I'm not sure about this part.

I know I should have bought a CPC or an evolution but I didn't. Not enough money.

What do you guys think ?

Edited by Walliut, 11 July 2019 - 08:46 PM.

#2 crn3371

crn3371

Explorer 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:21 AM

I’d sell the 8se and get the mount you want. It seems like a lot of work for marginal gain, plus the prospect of destroying your mount.

#3 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:35 AM

I have been considering a similar project with my CPC11.   I want to put rechargeable batteries in the left and/or right arm of my mount. Seems like there is plenty of room under the plastic cover(s).  I could add a small LED power meter, but that would mean cutting a rectangular hole in the plastic arm cover (could hurt resale).  I would ideally like to use the mounts 12v. power port as a charging point for the batteries and power port if I wanted to use 12v DC again. 

One thought to consider or further investigate, I had read a few years ago about someone who removed the fork(s) from the base of a SCT and then tried to reattach them with poor GOTO pointing results.

I also like crn3371's opinion. Save up and get the one you really want. I would have got the 9.25" evolution, but I heard from a good salesperson that that setup is not as stable as the smaller sizes, plus added aperture is never a bad thing, hence the 11.

#4 Walliut

Walliut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:36 AM

Yes lot of work but like I said , I will be able to put it back to original , only thing is gonna be 4 hole on the base that will be cover when reassemble.

#5 Walliut

Walliut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

You think it's not gonna be more stable with two arm ?

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:52 AM

Easier to just sell the SE Mount and pick up a CPC1100 which someone has already De-forked (the OTA).

• Don W likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics