•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power requirements for Gemini Lake Celeron GN4100 Processor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:37 AM

Ok, so I'm just about to buy this Kodlix Gemini Lake Celeron GN4100 Processor to run a scope and AP rig.

Trying to find out the simple power requirements seems to be a mess.

In the questions and answers on Amazon about this mini PC, the seller says it requires DC19V 1.9A and says:

It is also possible to use a 12v adapter (but in the case of fewer externally connected devices).

If you connect a lot of external devices, it is not recommended to use a 12v adapter because it will cause the power supply to be insufficient.

But in 2 other answers, he says no 5v but DC12V 1.5A.

So, if I try to run this at a remote observing location, powered by a 12-volt deep-cycle battery, will it have enough power for the USB devices, such as the autoguider camera?

Could I power it with the 20v output of this MAXOAK Laptop Power Bank 185Wh/50000mAh(Max.130W) ?

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 12 July 2019 - 01:38 AM.

#2 scott4comp

scott4comp

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

Recommended available power: 12v, 2A = 24W

typical power draw: 12v, 1.5A = 18W

I have worked with a number of mini brands - but not the Kodlix - they have all been 12V.

I have not seen a 19V, that's typically associated w/ laptops.

Even it the device has a 12v regulator inside, I would be leery of pushing 19/20V.....

If your battery has enough amp-hours, the voltage shouldnt drop off as current draw rises...

my 2 cents

jscott

Edit: I see your MAXOAK has a 12V output, that would be my first choice for powering the above min.

Edited by scott4comp, 12 July 2019 - 11:56 AM.

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

No wonder you're confused, Jerry.  I saw the same thing as jscott on the bottom of the box in the photos, but then browsing through the questions/answers the seller says to only use the 19V brick it comes with several times, and then once he says it's compatible with 12V 2A input.

Amazon sometimes mixes up q/a for different products from the same seller.  And it's really hard or impossible to figure out if the question/answer belongs to the one you're viewing, or to a slightly different model/version.  Somebody (was it you?) just asked a little while ago (in June) about the power source, specifically mentioning using it at a telescope, and the answer was 19V.  Yet the picture still says 12V on the bottom of the unit...

The only reliable way to find out might be to order one, and see what the brick that comes with it is.  If the brick is 19V, it might not hurt to try 12V (though it might not boot, either!).  But if the brick is 12V, I wouldn't advise trying out 19V (as I'm sure you already know), unless you need to keep warm next to your telescope...:)

Good luck.

#4 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Recommended available power: 12v, 2A = 24W

typical power draw: 12v, 1.5A = 18W

I have worked with a number of mini brands - but not the Kodlix - they have all been 12V.

I have not seen a 19V, that's typically associated w/ laptops.

Even it the device has a 12v regulator inside, I would be leery of pushing 19/20V.....

Hi jscott,

Thanks, I thought 19v was for laptops too.

Jerry

#5 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

No wonder you're confused, Jerry.  I saw the same thing as jscott on the bottom of the box in the photos, but then browsing through the questions/answers the seller says to only use the 19V brick it comes with several times, and then once he says it's compatible with 12V 2A input.

Amazon sometimes mixes up q/a for different products from the same seller.  And it's really hard or impossible to figure out if the question/answer belongs to the one you're viewing, or to a slightly different model/version.  Somebody (was it you?) just asked a little while ago (in June) about the power source, specifically mentioning using it at a telescope, and the answer was 19V.  Yet the picture still says 12V on the bottom of the unit...

The only reliable way to find out might be to order one, and see what the brick that comes with it is.  If the brick is 19V, it might not hurt to try 12V (though it might not boot, either!).  But if the brick is 12V, I wouldn't advise trying out 19V (as I'm sure you already know), unless you need to keep warm next to your telescope...smile.gif

Good advice, thanks.

I know what you mean about Amazon mixing up questions and reviews for different products under one similar product.

I think I'm just going to have to order it and find out. :-)

Jerry

#6 premk19

premk19

Viking 1

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

Sounds similar to Intel NUCs - they can take a wide range of input voltage 12-19v.

#7 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:08 AM

Sounds similar to Intel NUCs - they can take a wide range of input voltage 12-19v.

Interesting. I didn't know they could handle that much of a range.

Jerry

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:13 AM

Interesting. I didn't know they could handle that much of a range.

Jerry

Yep.  BTDTGTTS.  <grin>

#9 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

Yep.  BTDTGTTS.  <grin>

Yea, I'm reliving your astrophotography childhood. :-)

Jerry

• bobzeq25 likes this

#10 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

Well, here is the "definitive" answer, I just got the Kodlix Gemini Lake Celeron GN4100 Mini PC today, and the adapter is 12 volts and 2 amps.

I also got this battery to power it, so I can up the voltage to 16 or 19 if I need to: Krisdonia Portable Laptop Charger 185Wh/50000mAh Laptop Power Bank QC3.0

"Krisdonia" brings a smile to my face thinking about the Marx brothers.  The young kids won't get that reference. Only the real old timers, like Bob, might make the connection to a certain country...

I will report back on how the battery works with the mini pc.

The Kodlix is bigger than I would have liked... it's almost exactly 4x larger than my Raspberry Pi 3B that I'm trying to get StellarMate to run on. (But learning Linux will undoubtedly take the rest of what's left of my life.)

Jerry

#11 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

But learning Linux will undoubtedly take the rest of what's left of my life.

Jerry

I was finding that staying with Windows was shortening what was left of my life.

• Der_Pit likes this

#12 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:01 PM

Sounds like operating systems are affecting your two lives too much!  It's just software, guys! :)

Jerry, at least you now know it can run just fine off of 12V.

And yes, I got the Marx brothers reference...

#13 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:46 AM

Krisdonia battery first light.

Got the battery today, opened it and it had 84% power. Topped it off to 100%.

Plugged the Kendrick Digifire (which powered just the mount and anti-dewers tonight), and the DigiFire lit up. So far so good.

A very short time later, the battery turned off. Uh oh.

I think it was because I had not actually turned the mount on, or plugged in the anti-dewer, so there was no current draw, so the Krisdonia turned itself off to save it's power. i guess the DigiFire is not drawing much just sitting there with nothing on.

Turned the battery back on, powered up the mount and anti dewers, and shot for two hours with no further problems. Battery was down to 84% when I packed up.

I'll test again tonight with computer hooked up, if it can possibly actually be clear 2 nights in a row.

Jerry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics