•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Non Essential equipment

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

My last two purchases have both been non essential but I could not be happier.

First I got myself an iOptron iPolar with the adaptor for the HEQ5 Pro. No more crawling on the ground getting cramp in my neck trying to polar align. I now sit comfortably next to the mount with my laptop on my lap and its done in a matter of seconds.

Yesterday I got a Pegasus Pocket Powerbox as I was getting fed up with the number of wires. I also needed a dew heater and there is a controller with two connections built in. It is also Indi compliant which fits nicely with my setup. I still use a DSLR so the 8V connection is ideal and I am using 2 UBEC's from the radio control world to provide 5V for the StellarMate and the USB hub. I now have everything mounted on the scope and only one wire coming off the mount which is either the mains 12V power supply or a battery if I have no access to mains. The argument I often see against a powerbox if that it is easy enough to make at home but if I were to make a powerbox it would be much larger and heavier so for me it was well worth the investment.

Neither are essential but they should help me spend more time and energy collecting photons than setting up equipment.

• wrvond and bobzeq25 like this

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

Nice.  While I agree they're not "essential," they both sure can make life easier.

I'm about to do the powerbox myself.  Haven't decided yet on buy or build.  :)

#3 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

What seems non-essential to one is a necessity to another.

#4 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

What seems non-essential to one is a necessity to another.

#5 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Nice.  While I agree they're not "essential," they both sure can make life easier.

I'm about to do the powerbox myself.  Haven't decided yet on buy or build.  smile.gif

First thing I did when I got the powerbox is open it up. All the connectors are connected directly to the PCB (so I need to be careful) and they have used surface mounted components on the PCB, this means it all fits in a very small package, only a little larger than the Raspberry Pi.

I decided to build my own focuser based on an Adruino. It works really well but it is large and a little cumbersome. When I wanted to equip my Esprit 100 with an autofocuser I was tempted to build another one until I saw the SensoSesto. Motor and controller all in one very neat small/light package, I was sold.

Edited by rishigarrod, 12 July 2019 - 11:25 AM.

• OldManSky likes this

#6 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

I could not be happier.

Sounds pretty essential to me.  Enjoy your new gear.

• rishigarrod likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics