•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One has to go.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Texas

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

I have two 6 inch scopes one is a Celestron Omni XLT 150 reflactor telescope and the other is a C-6 sct with a FR, there is no need to keep both so which should go I am thinking the Celestron Omni XLT 150 Telescope what do you all think.

• aeajr likes this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

Does the 150 XLT have a 2 inch focuser?

Jon

#3 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

I have two 6 inch scopes one is a Celestron Omni XLT 150 reflactor telescope and the other is a C-6 sct with a FR, there is no need to keep both so which should go I am thinking the Celestron Omni XLT 150 Telescope what do you all think.

Two very different scopes.

Omni XLT 150 is a manual EQ mounted Newtonian

https://www.celestro...t-150-telescope

The C6 - Is that just a optical tube or is it on a mount of some kind?

Are you talking about optical tubes or telescope packages?

What do you see as the differences between them, or do you see them as equivalent.   

The C6 optical tube is smaller and probably lighter so that might be an advantage but the XLT 150, at 750 mm, it not all that big either.

Does one of them have a 2" focuser?

How did you happen to have these two scopes?  Do you use them for different things?

If one has to go, make it the one you use least.. 

#4 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:08 PM

Which cools down quicker and is easier to collimate? Which would bring more money if sold?  One is a little better on planets, but how often are planets at opposition? 

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

An Omni 6” Reflactor - isn’t that an SCT? Combines features of a reflector and refractor? Celestron offered a 6” Omni reflector and a 6” Omni refractor. Understanding which you have makes a difference in what pros and cons people list. So far the assumption is reflector it seems.

Scott

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Keep the C6.  I have both and I haven't used the XLT 150 reflector in years.  The C6 is lighter, more compact and virtually never needs collimation.   Especially for grab-n-go, I think the C6 makes a better, easier scope.  You can put it on a fairly light-weight alt-az mount.  The XLT 150 demands a bigger mount with more space to clear the tripod legs.  I don't do GEMs.

I bought both scopes without a mount.  The C6 handles well on my Vanguard Auctus Plus 324AT, a compact alt-az on a tripod.  The XLT 150 does not.  It's too big and heavy for that mount.

If both are collimated and acclimated, one will perform about as well as the other.  The XLT 150 can show you wider views at lower power.  But it's also bigger and heavier.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 July 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#7 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:11 PM

Sorry I thought I had put this in the equipment  forum sorry. 

#8 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

Yes the 6 inch reflector has a 2 inch focuser.  

#9 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

The C-6 sct is mounted on a Orion starseeker IV goto mount the 6 inch reflector is on a dob type style of mounting.

#10 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

When using both scopes side by side and the C-6 sct with a FR there's not much of a difference between the two and because of the size of the C-6 its a little easier to use. So I guess I have kind of answered my own question on which scope to keep lol. 

• gene 4181 and aeajr like this

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

When using both scopes side by side and the C-6 sct with a FR there's not much of a difference between the two and because of the size of the C-6 its a little easier to use. So I guess I have kind of answered my own question on which scope to keep lol. 

If you use 2 inch eyepieces in the 6 inch F/5 It will be capable of much wider fields of view, about 3.2° versus about 1.6° for the C6 with the F/6.3:reducer.

Jon

• Sarkikos likes this

#12 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

If you use 2 inch eyepieces in the 6 inch F/5 It will be capable of much wider fields of view, about 3.2° versus about 1.6° for the C6 with the F/6.3:reducer.

Jon

The 2" focuser would shift the balance for me over to the 6" F/5 side but then again I have several well

corrected 2" eyepieces that work well at F/5.

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

I think the biggest issue is the GoTo mount versus a manual Dob mount. That’s the main difference to me. Sure the reflector can go wider. So if you have the eyepieces to capitalize on that, along with a good knowledge of the skies, then you don’t need to waste time on a GoTo alignment. But if you mainly rely on GoTo to find targets then stick with the SCT.

I can also see a 6” F5 Dob being a bit uncomfortably short. Depending on how the mount is built.

Scott

#14 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

I think the biggest issue is the GoTo mount versus a manual Dob mount. That’s the main difference to me. Sure the reflector can go wider. So if you have the eyepieces to capitalize on that, along with a good knowledge of the skies, then you don’t need to waste time on a GoTo alignment. But if you mainly rely on GoTo to find targets then stick with the SCT.

I can also see a 6” F5 Dob being a bit uncomfortably short. Depending on how the mount is built.

Scott

What Goto and what Dob?   I didn't see anything about a GoTo mount or a Dob.

#15 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

Thanks everyone I think I have made my mind up the 6inch f/5 reflector would make a good scope for a young person just getting into this hobby and I think I can find it a good home. Thanks again.

• Jon Isaacs, Sarkikos and gene 4181 like this

#16 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:28 PM

Sell both and get an 8” Teeter STS with Zambuto mirror.

#17 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:44 PM

What Goto and what Dob?   I didn't see anything about a GoTo mount or a Dob.

George Methvin wrote --- "The C-6 sct is mounted on a Orion starseeker IV goto mount the 6 inch reflector is on a dob type style of mounting."

#18 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:02 PM

No more scopes, I am trying to down size now. I have realized at the age of 67 I don't need more stuff I need less I don't need a larger scope I need a easier to use scope. My goal is to get down to one or maybe two scopes and a hand full if eyepieces. I have found that 99.9 percent of the time I view with just one scope and use the same four eyepieces almost all of the time. Right now I am down to four scopes they are a C-8 on a SE mount a C-6 on a Starseeker IV mount less then a year old and a 6 f/5 reflector and a Orion 14 inch goto dob.  As of now I use the C-8 most of all with the 14 inch dob next a far second. So I believe in the near future the two 6inch scope will go as well as the Orion 14 inch. My new motto is "IF YOU DONT USE IT LOSE IT". nothing sadder then a scope gather dust and not being used. Funny how we play this game to justice getting more stuff like me getting the C-6 with the Orion starseeker mount I told myself I really need a grab and go scope but you know my C-8 is just a grab and go and shows much more lol so the C-6 just sits and does not get used, so much for justifying that wad of money lol.  Thanks for the help now its time to get back to some house cleaning I will see you folks in the classifieds in the near future . 

• Jon Isaacs, Sarkikos and ADIEL like this

#19 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:11 PM

I can understand deciding to downsize.  The C8 is a nice all around size without being too heavy even as you age.  If you get where you can't lift 20lbs at a time, then you know it's time to move to a set of binoculars! 

• Sarkikos likes this

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

No more scopes, I am trying to down size now. I have realized at the age of 67 I don't need more stuff I need less I don't need a larger scope I need a easier to use scope. My goal is to get down to one or maybe two scopes and a hand full if eyepieces. I have found that 99.9 percent of the time I view with just one scope and use the same four eyepieces almost all of the time. Right now I am down to four scopes they are a C-8 on a SE mount a C-6 on a Starseeker IV mount less then a year old and a 6 f/5 reflector and a Orion 14 inch goto dob.  As of now I use the C-8 most of all with the 14 inch dob next a far second. So I believe in the near future the two 6inch scope will go as well as the Orion 14 inch. My new motto is "IF YOU DONT USE IT LOSE IT". nothing sadder then a scope gather dust and not being used. Funny how we play this game to justice getting more stuff like me getting the C-6 with the Orion starseeker mount I told myself I really need a grab and go scope but you know my C-8 is just a grab and go and shows much more lol so the C-6 just sits and does not get used, so much for justifying that wad of money lol.  Thanks for the help now its time to get back to some house cleaning I will see you folks in the classifieds in the near future . 

I hear you and understand. :waytogo:

Look at my sig.  All those scopes are the result of curiosity.  Many are due to the search for the ultimate grab-n-go.  I'm thankful for the education they provided, but it's time to clean house.

:grin:

Mike

#21 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

keep the C8.  They are great scopes.

• Sarkikos likes this

#22 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

I plan on keeping mine it seem to have very nice optic and is just a fun all around fun scope to us it easy to setup and show what I want to see and its easy to take down. There you have it.

• Sarkikos likes this

#23 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

So gave my Celestron 6" Omni XLT 150 f/5 reflector on a dob mount and several 2 inch eyepieces to a young man that is interested in this hobby so one scope down two to go.

Edited by George Methvin, 17 July 2019 - 01:52 PM.

• Sarkikos and mrsjeff like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics