•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WO GT102 first refractor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

I got a 20 year gift at work and a 2019 GT102 is on the way.  If things ever settle and clear here (hurricane likely to mess things up for a while) I will get out.

The plan is to swap it and the Celestron 8HD back and forth on the AVX mount until I can get a better mount.  In the meantime I am considering a second Star Sense (LOVE that thing) and think I can mount it on the grab handle.  But on guiding..... It looks to tight to put an OAG in.  Anyone have experience on that? 

Oh and I am very much a newby so still learning tools one by one (currently trying to get guiding going for the 8HD)

• eros312 and alstarjoey like this

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:33 PM

Glad to here of your scope good luck and sorry to hear about your hurricane threat. I'm guessing you live on the northern Gulf coast?

#3 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

Glad to here of your scope good luck and sorry to hear about your hurricane threat. I'm guessing you live on the northern Gulf coast?

North Alabama so compared to some we have no worries.  They are saying a chance of some flooding but I doubt that and I am high enough that it won't matter.  Lack of clear skies though... (an easy problem in life)  Hoping to have the new tube in hand next week (not sure though as it is shipped to them not me)

#4 Wire

Wire

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dundalk, MD

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

Well you got a new scope, of course it's gonna rain. That's how it works. 

• sheepofblue likes this

#5 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

Pictures of the unboxing.  Still got stuff to figure out.  

1) I found manual is zero (can get a previous edition)  Not critical

2) The front ring bottoms and can rotate a little but I think now that is on purpose.  Learning curve.

3) The set screw for the dew cover is included but I think I will be looking for a thumb screw to replace it.

4) I do think that I can move the handle to one side and mount a StarSense next to the guide tube

5) the rings need to be removed in order to put it back in the case... need to figure out alignment requirements.

No skies and lack of time but with my anniversary bonus I have about 600 in it including the side scope and camera so it was a golden opportunity :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• 3W6A1383.jpg
  • 3W6A1384.jpg
  • 3W6A1386.jpg

• rustynpp, timmbottoni, Lewis Cason and 3 others like this

#6 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

Pictures of the unboxing.  Still got stuff to figure out.  

1) I found manual is zero (can get a previous edition)  Not critical

2) The front ring bottoms and can rotate a little but I think now that is on purpose.  Learning curve.

3) The set screw for the dew cover is included but I think I will be looking for a thumb screw to replace it.

4) I do think that I can move the handle to one side and mount a StarSense next to the guide tube

5) the rings need to be removed in order to put it back in the case... need to figure out alignment requirements.

No skies and lack of time but with my anniversary bonus I have about 600 in it including the side scope and camera so it was a golden opportunity :-)

Very nice looking scope and case!

#7 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

Balance and attach cables.  Though I would like to get another screw in the Star Sense bracket

Attached Thumbnails

• scope.jpg

Edited by sheepofblue, 16 September 2019 - 09:32 PM.

• Lewis Cason likes this

#8 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:41 AM

LOTS to do but this is the first little bit of data.  I could not get the guide camera to focus nor at first the refractor.  WO says a back focus of 66.9mm using the Flat8 if I follow correctly but when I had that much back space I could not achieve focus.  When I dropped the distance to the 40's I think (have to calculate it when I get time) then I could get nice focus.  Other little things to dial in also.  So here is the first bit out of it.  About 165 30 second frames stacked and quickly stretched.  I have flats but need to make darks so this is with zero calibration frames (you can tell by the noise lol.gif)

M33_2mp.jpg

• REC, OldManSky and 2696 like this

#9 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

I just ordered your scope's baby brother...a GT-71.  Hopefully will be here on Friday (along with the reducer/flattener and camera angle rotator).

Same gold trim.

Hope you're enjoying yours, it sure looks like it! :)

• sheepofblue likes this

#10 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:58 PM

I haven't had it out a ton but so far I like it.  Once I get the guide cam dialed in.....  Also need to get used to SG Pro so I can better do multi-night gathering..

• OldManSky likes this

#11 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

20-year anniversary gift...mine was a pin and a notepad made out of 100% recycled paper.

Soooo, what company do you work for? Never mind, I don’t plan to still be working 20 years from now. Unless my kids take a decade to finish college.

Scott
  • sheepofblue likes this

#12 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

20-year anniversary gift...mine was a pin and a notepad made out of 100% recycled paper.

Soooo, what company do you work for? Never mind, I don’t plan to still be working 20 years from now. Unless my kids take a decade to finish college.

Scott

Great people, for my 15th I got a mini lathe.  I am hoping to be done by 25 though LOL

• SeattleScott likes this

#13 sheepofblue

sheepofblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

So a second run M33 on October 4th.  Got the guide scope working and did 90 seconds with 222 minutes of good data (need to go further and see how this guides even longer).  Also first effort with PixInsight as I got the demo now.  Overall pretty happy with this and looking forward to more nebulas this winter.

0.72x reducer flattener, Zwo ASI183MCPro running at -10C, AVX mount, WO 50mm guidescope, ASI290Mini guide camera  225 minutes at 90sec (2 frames tossed for satellites)

Attached Thumbnails

• m33_PI.jpg

Edited by sheepofblue, 09 October 2019 - 10:47 AM.

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics