This thread has been done before in different forms and guises but I can't seem to get my thinking straight and my lack of AP experience means its difficult to make fine judgements myself. I am at the mercy of the mount oracles.
Specifically given the choice of 1) Paramount MX+, 2) 10 Micron 2000 HPS and 3) AP 1100 goto mount for a permanent pier, what would you pick?
Here are the details:
1. I am new to AP but I have a new home observatory and prefer to invest now rather than climb the ladder (experience has told me this is the most economical route ultimately)
2. I use an Edge 11' for visual and have a small refractor (73mm WO) but will hope to upgrade this soon for AP (perhaps to a 120mm)
3. I would like the option to remote it at least some of the time (from my house - only 100mm away) i.e. run the mount while I sleep.
4. Ease of set up and "just works" are very important to me (I am a computer scientist, but I don't want to be debugging problems all the time - enough of that at work)
5. I do want to future proof on capacity; 50kg is probably a bit too much but one step down to the 10 Micron 1000 or MyT and you are in 25kg capacity which leaves you nowhere to grow really - particularly if one day you want a 14' SCT or dual mount with a refractor.
6. As ridiculous as it sounds beauty and craftsmanship actually do mean something to me in my decision making
People seem so polarised by this issue and its hard to see the wood for the trees. Customer service is critical and some here seem to have issues with SB while others wax lyrical about them. 10Micron fans rave about its unguided accuracy but thats at short focal lengths and as a colleague has said to me...."guiding really isn't that big of a deal....I am not sure if this should be a big factor in your decision". Although I have no basis to say this, AP mounts seem to have the stature of an elderly statesman; tried and tested beautiful hardware, but perhaps a bit behind software/automation-wise (I may be very wrong about this and if so, tell me).
Ultimately I suspect its hard to get very clear answers because it seems to be quite subjective at this price point - I've have pm'ed a few members and have got very valuable feedback - many thanks to those of you who have helped.
(Also, I haven't mentioned the other issue....the iOptron CEM 120 EC2 seems on paper to equal these 3 at 50% the price here in the UK - this conversation is for another day).
Many thanks for reading this; pros and cons for each mount from experience is what I am after!
Edited by SimonIRE, 12 July 2019 - 08:52 AM.