•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fake TAK 106?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

I'm evaluating the possibility to buy one TAK FSQ106ED used.

In the offering I cannot see any picture showing the serial number and the grey band on which it is normally attached to is not shown.

The standard focuser has been  replaced by a FTF-3515.

Do you know there are fake TAK on the market?

Attached Thumbnails

• tak106.jpg

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:12 AM

Ask the seller to show you photo evidence of the S/N and band (if it has one).

• Fukinagashi likes this

#3 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

I'm evaluating the possibility to buy one TAK FSQ106ED used.

In the offering I cannot see any picture showing the serial number and the grey band on which it is normally attached to is not shown.

The standard focuser has been  replaced by a FTF-3515.

Do you know there are fake TAK on the market?

I have never seen a counterfeit Takahashi, but somewhere they "probably" exist.  But, the owner went to great lenths and expense to retrofit a FT3515 to this telescope.  I would never place a high end focuser on a fake telescope.  So, I think you are safe.

The FT35-xx series are superior to the stock Takahashi focusers.  This is an upgrade.   

• Paul G, Jon Isaacs, Tonk and 4 others like this

#4 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

Do you know if the TAK is sold with a standard transport case or if it arrives in a wooden box?

#5 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:39 AM

Usually the serial number is on the focuser, which has been replaced here...

• Tonk, mich_al and Joe1950 like this

#6 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:41 AM

They should have the old focuser somewhere with the serial number band on it. I would want the original focuser included if I were to buy a scope with a swapped focuser, especially one of such cost, so I would hope the owner has it.

#7 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

They should have the old focuser somewhere with the serial number band on it. I would want the original focuser included if I were to buy a scope with a swapped focuser, especially one of such cost, so I would hope the owner has it.

Yes he says is included.

• CounterWeight and Joe1950 like this

#8 peleuba

peleuba

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

Usually the serial number is on the focuser, which has been replaced here...

They should have the old focuser somewhere with the serial number band on it. 

An example of what is described above...

Attached Thumbnails

• TAK.jpg

Edited by peleuba, 12 July 2019 - 09:51 AM.

• Paul G, Fukinagashi and Joe1950 like this

#9 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

​My FS128 went back to the factory (Canon) for correction to a sleek and upgrade to a 4" focuser. You can see the serial # on the nametag was left blank although it is the real deal direct from Takahashi land via Texas Nautical.

Attached Thumbnails

• FS128.jpg

• Paul G likes this

#10 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

All the Takahashi scopes I have owned, I am located in the USA, came triple packed in cardboard boxes.

Your main question, No, in ten years never I've never heard of a fake 106.  My other question is what specific model of the 106 (though the red paint narrows it down), this also would be on the focuser plate.

I hope there were pictures of the objective lens, that is what I really look for.

That focuser (Starlight Instruments, FeatherTouch) is an upgrade as stated above, and generally regarded as a beneficial one for imagers - it looks motorized?  They are expensive to install and usually the seller might recommend some software to use autofocus, or at least what they used, good to get a handle on that.

Looks like what a lot of imagers might call their dream scope.  Best luck to you.

#11 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

Here the lens...

Attached Thumbnails

• tak106_02.jpg

#12 Michael Birolin

Michael Birolin

Lift Off

• Loc: Nc

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

Best thing to do is take it out and do a STAR test you'll know right away if it's a Takahashi or fake that's for sure but like the other gentleman said if somebody put an upgraded focuser on it chances are the serial number was on the old one the original
  • Fukinagashi likes this

#13 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

Where would one get an 106 mm lens to make a fake?

• RobM likes this

#14 Winks

Winks

Vostok 1

• Loc: Phoenix

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

From Takahashi

• Gene3 likes this

#15 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

Be careful.

I saw some users replacing the stock focuser by third party focuser and going to selling their FSQ (what is something that I can't understand since the combo is a superb optics and supposedly superb focuser as *upgrade*).

Written as FT are superior focuser... but replacing focuser in the FSQ is not a joke as removing and replacing. After modification there is no warranty into remaing a good optics aligment (all lens elements) for the 'new' focuser.

Even a replacing the Takahashi CW (FSQ-106ED,X) by Takahashi focuser adapter ring (FSQ-106EDX3, 4) could need a factory trip into a optical check (this was what confirmed to me the optical designer in Takahashi japan).

So be carefull. Ask seller about adquiered raw frames ideally with big format as 16803 otherwise maybe look at other chances... (Could be fine for small format sensors but corrected imagen circle could decreases with wrong alignment due by new focuser.)

Good luck!

Edited by edif300, 12 July 2019 - 04:49 PM.

• StarDust1 and Kunama like this

#16 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

Where would one get an 106 mm lens to make a fake?

Beats me jake.  I say it is the real deal.

• RobM likes this

#17 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:02 PM

From Takahashi

Then it would be Fakahashi right...….lol.gif 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#18 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

Were the lens rings on the Fluorite models the only ones with green writing?

#19 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:07 AM

Newer Fluorite scopes has white writing

Green lettering was used from around 1980 to 2002 or so.... Fluorite were used extensively those decades.

#20 Fukinagashi

Fukinagashi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:29 AM

Newer Fluorite scopes has white writing

Green lettering was used from around 1980 to 2002 or so.... Fluorite were used extensively those decades.

So it should be a newer model. I will look for the serial number and let you know.

Here we go: 07258

does 07 mean year 2007?

Edited by Fukinagashi, 13 July 2019 - 05:58 AM.

#21 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

The FSQ in question is the newer FSQ-106ED, no doubt about it. Double ED scope.

Regarding to serial number seems ok to me, year 2007 (introduction year) sample number 258.

#22 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:12 AM

Fluorite FSQ are FSQ-106 (fixed dewshield) and FSQ-106N (aka FSQ-106kai)

#23 motab

motab

Vostok 1

• Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:33 AM

Be careful.

I saw some users replacing the stock focuser by third party focuser and going to selling their FSQ (what is something that I can't understand since the combo is a superb optics and supposedly superb focuser as *upgrade*).

Written as FT are superior focuser... but replacing focuser in the FSQ is not a joke as removing and replacing. After modification there is no warranty into remaing a good optics aligment (all lens elements) for the 'new' focuser.

Even a replacing the Takahashi CW (FSQ-106ED,X) by Takahashi focuser adapter ring (FSQ-106EDX3, 4) could need a factory trip into a optical check (this was what confirmed to me the optical designer in Takahashi japan).

So be carefull. Ask seller about adquiered raw frames ideally with big format as 16803 otherwise maybe look at other chances... (Could be fine for small format sensors but corrected imagen circle could decreases with wrong alignment due by new focuser.)

Good luck!

Hi, 

I just received my new FSQ106EDX4 and also have a MoonLite NiteCrawler that I will install soon. I'm slightly confused about your comment since the focuser is only fixed to the OTA by a small set screw and is otherwise a straightforward screw-in connection. There is a set of screws to adjust the mechanical alignment of the focuser itself but I don't believe they change the alignment of the lens groups. At least in the case of the NiteCrawler, the focuser is aligned at the factory but can nevertheless be adjusted in case that is required.

My guess would be that those stock screws are adjusted at the factory to ensure mechanical alignment and they are coated with a glue or resin -- Takahashi does not want you adjusting them yourself. The set screw that lets you unscrew the whole focuser comes off fairly easily, however.

I have also heard (but never directly enquired with Takahashi themselves) that they will honour the warranty so long as the stock focuser is returned to the tube before sending.

Cheers,

Mo

#24 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

I have modified some FSQ, installing Atlas focuser or removing the CW by the Takahashi focuser ring adapter. It didn't always maintain the collimation for the new image plane and I sent it to collimating due the new image plane placement -Mr Yuyama was right-.

You can believe what you want, after all, is your reponsability the care of your telescope. Even more, we can write pages and pages about what all we are belieaving or what we think they want... After all is your scope and you can make all what you want with your scope.

So I will be all honest, for me the only one and the most autority word is what Takahashi japan said to me regarding to changing focuser adapter -or focuser itself-. I always follow Takahashi's words as they are a guarantee for my scopes. For me is so simply.

Good luck with your new focuser installing.

Best,
Inaki

Edited by edif300, 14 July 2019 - 10:37 AM.

#25 motab

motab

Vostok 1

• Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

I have modified some FSQ, installing Atlas focuser or removing the CW by the Takahashi focuser ring adapter. It didn't always maintain the collimation for the new image plane and I sent it to collimating due the new image plane placement -Mr Yuyama was right-.

You can believe what you want, after all, is your reponsability the care of your telescope. Even more, we can write pages and pages about what all we are belieaving or what we think they want... After all is your scope and you can make all what you want with your scope.

So I will be all honest, for me the only one and the most autority word is what Takahashi japan said to me regarding to changing focuser adapter -or focuser itself-. I always follow Takahashi's words as they are a guarantee for my scopes. For me is so simply.

Good luck with your new focuser installing.

Best,
Inaki

Hi Inaki,

My main point is simply this: the stock focuser screws on to the tube as you will note yourself from having installed the Atlas. It does not change the collimation of any of the lens groups in any way. If the image plane has changed, it is because the replacement focuser is no longer aligned to and does not run parallel to the central axis of the lens groups. The lens groups are collimated independently of the focuser. Am I missing something in the understanding? 

I also accept that Takahashi is the ultimate authority on the topic. If you have a contact at Tak Japan that has been helpful with support, I would appreciate a private message with contact details. I would like to hear their opinion on focuser replacement and whether they mean that the mechanical alignment could go wrong or if they really mean that the lens groups will go out of collimation. I would be worried if it's the second one.

Cheers,

Mo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics