•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron GPS11" Forked or Unforked ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BobW55

BobW55

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melvin, Michigan (Sanilac County)

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:10 AM

I rarely use my GPS 11".   Last year I de-forked in so I could use it on my CEM60 mount.

I am thinking about letting it go and use the money for a better imager.

Would I be better off leaving it De-forked, or put it back in the original mount/tripod and let her go that way?

#2 nobake

nobake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Iowa

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:31 PM

Simplest is to just menu price all the items.

Shipping will be interesting, though.  Depending on whether you've got the boxes/foam still.  Especially if the OTA goes to a separate buyer than the forks.

One thing which you probably already know is that the motor controllers on those had updates.  If you've got the most recent boards and updated controller that might be desirable, but I'm speculating on that.

I had a couple NS11s which I really enjoyed when I used them, but just didn't use enough due to the size and thermal issues.

matt

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

I rarely use my GPS 11".   Last year I de-forked in so I could use it on my CEM60 mount.

I am thinking about letting it go and use the money for a better imager.

Would I be better off leaving it De-forked, or put it back in the original mount/tripod and let her go that way?

I would think that your best price and easiest way forward would be to re-mount it and sell it as a complete system.

The problem is that if you sell the OTA (which would be relatively easy) then you are stuck with a fork that will only fit another C11 that was drilled and tapped for mounting on a fork. That would dramatically reduce the potential buyer pool. 

Just my thinking.  I could be wrong.  It happens. 

Edited by Eddgie, 12 July 2019 - 01:22 PM.

#4 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

IMO, I would leave the OTA detached and list both OTA and mount in same ad. This gives someone the opportunity to buy together, if interested. Unless you have original shipping container the mounted C11 would be a difficult packing job. I know I used to own one and sold them separately. It was difficult finding a box big enough and sturdy enough to ship the fork mount in and even after I did the carrier damaged the box. Fortunately there was no damage to the mount.

Otherwise you can go with local pick up only sale.

Edited by Catapoman, 12 July 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Sell the OTA seperate from the fork mount.  The reason? 

1) People are looking for the 11" mounts to make into super-SE type mounts with better stability and functionality.  Avg price $500-600 fully functional mount
2) People are looking for the 11" OTA to mount on GEMs like you did.  Non-HD $1000-1300, HD - 1400-2100.. 

3) You've already got them seperated, it's no loss or gain to put them back together based on demand. Value seperate about equal to value apart. 

• BobW55 likes this

#6 BobW55

BobW55

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.  Tough decision to make.

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Bob,

As mentioned there are usually a few folks looking for NS11 GPS fork/base units for DIY projects. Since the amount of money will as Paul mentioned likely be the same either way I'd definitely lean towards selling them separately. I think you'll find more possible interest in the OTA on it's own (possibly getting you a higher price) and it's much easier to ship the two pieces separately.

#8 BobW55

BobW55

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

Bob,

As mentioned there are usually a few folks looking for NS11 GPS fork/base units for DIY projects. Since the amount of money will as Paul mentioned likely be the same either way I'd definitely lean towards selling them separately. I think you'll find more possible interest in the OTA on it's own (possibly getting you a higher price) and it's much easier to ship the two pieces separately.

Problem will be finding boxes to fit/pad them.  Have to see what the UPS store has.

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:19 AM

Problem will be finding boxes to fit/pad them.  Have to see what the UPS store has.

True, but still quite a bit easier than trying to safely box the single 65+ lb unit. 

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

A suggestion for the OTA only box ... have a look at a big plastic storage box. Do you still have the inner foam from the original box? If not even just strips of foam can be cut and packed to provide a solid cradle for the OTA. Please don't consider peanuts or similar loose packing material unless it's used between two boxes (where it can't move out of the way).

#11 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:47 PM

I would think that your best price and easiest way forward would be to re-mount it and sell it as a complete system.

The problem is that if you sell the OTA (which would be relatively easy) then you are stuck with a fork that will only fit another C11 that was drilled and tapped for mounting on a fork. That would dramatically reduce the potential buyer pool. 

Just my thinking.  I could be wrong.  It happens. 

Although I have both the NS11GPS (complete) and a spare Forkmount (which I converted to a Single ForkMount) I tend to agree with Eddgie.

If it were me, I'd list the Forkmount first and THEN sell the OTA after the Forkmount is sold (shipped, etc).

If the Forks draw little interest, then list it as a complete set up, but I still wouldn't re-fork until there's a serious buyer.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics