•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Synta 180 Mak Dovetail Suitability and Supplier?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:12 AM

I'm about to order a Synta 180 Mak and would like some input on dovetail size suitability. The SW and Orion use the smaller Vixen size and I can get the Celestron version with the larger plate.

In your experience, is the smaller plate appropriately rigid enough for high power observing and solar system imaging? My AVX with ADM saddle can take either.

I've never bought a SW scope but I hear good things about support. Do you have a favorite vendor in case a return is required? FYI, I think the only vendor that supplies the Celestron version is Highpoint and OPT(?).

#2 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

Just to clarify, has anyone with a 180 felt the need to use a wider dove plate than what is supplied with the SW and Orion versions?

#3 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Skylab

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

I haven’t owned the SW 180 MAK, but with a scope this size and weight, the wider CGE rail might suppress vibrations better for high power viewing.

Bill

• Auburn80 likes this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

First off, I found the Vixen Dovetail fine for the 7" Mak (as well as 8" SCT's).

However an upgrade may or may not be necessary depending on your mounting choice (Alt/Az/GEM) as

well as preference.

Here's the thing about the Celestron.  IMO those orange CGE Dovetails are no more stable than a Vixen and

In fact I believe they have more flex.

The only true 3" Losmandy style Dovetails are those made by Losmandy, ADM (my personal choice), or Farpoint.

• Auburn80 likes this

#5 watchplanets

watchplanets

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

I also had the meade lx200 uhtc 7 inch mak and the vixen rail was solid. The only think skywatcher and Orion puts a half vixen rsil meaning. Meade version went from edge to edge where u scree it into the thick cast iron part that all scts and maks have , where orion/skywatchers is a smaller bar that screws to the much thinner ota middle tube part. I dont think that's as strong verses edge to edge

Edited by watchplanets, 14 July 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#6 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

I have a 180 Mak and although the supplied dovetail (SW) is fine, I am planning to get rings and a bar for more secure mounting, plus the option of adding a carry-handle.

Chris

• Auburn80 likes this

#7 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

I have a 180 Mak and although the supplied dovetail (SW) is fine, I am planning to get rings and a bar for more secure mounting, plus the option of adding a carry-handle.

Chris

What mount do you use Chris?

#8 cildastun

cildastun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:43 AM

What mount do you use Chris?

Usually, on a SkyTee2 mount with an ED80 for company.  For planetary imaging,I  use a modified Vixen SP. 

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• mak+small.jpg

#9 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:49 AM

I'm about to order a Synta 180 Mak and would like some input on dovetail size suitability. The SW and Orion use the smaller Vixen size and I can get the Celestron version with the larger plate.

In your experience, is the smaller plate appropriately rigid enough for high power observing and solar system imaging? My AVX with ADM saddle can take either.

The Vixen sized dovetail has been fine on a CG5 up to 540x.

• Auburn80 likes this

#10 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

Hmm, its sounds like that the plate size isn't much of an issue. Maybe I'll just flip a coin or go with the less expensive.

#11 Rock22

Rock22

Ranger 4

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:34 PM

I have the Orion 180 mak.  The dovetail seems very stable on my ES EXOS2-GT (EQ goto mount).

• Auburn80 likes this

#12 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:32 PM

Hmm, its sounds like that the plate size isn't much of an issue. Maybe I'll just flip a coin or go with the less expensive.

Another major consideration is the potential after sale customer service. On this Skywatcher is the best, and Orion is the worst (especially for the poor schmoe you end up selling it to).

#13 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Another major consideration is the potential after sale customer service. On this Skywatcher is the best, and Orion is the worst (especially for the poor schmoe you end up selling it to).

Thanks Peter, I've considered that and have it down to Celestron vs Skywatcher and after reading responses about dovetails, Skywatcher is pulling ahead. Looks like they both come with the same accessories other than the wider dovetail available on the Celestron.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics