•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

THE ...CHARLES W. PEIFFER , SEPT . 1935

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 AD14EM2

AD14EM2

Vostok 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

Fun story, looking forward to next installment.

waytogo.gif

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#27 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

popcorn.gif

#28 shredder1656

shredder1656

Apollo

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:36 AM

Tom = the Garrison Keillor of Cloudy Nights

Lake Cloudsbegone must be Tom's hometown.  lol.gif 

applause.gif 

popcorn.gif 

• rcwolpert likes this

#29 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

applause.gif

popcorn.gif

Garrison Keillor or Sam Spade?! ;)

Just be careful what you stumble into Tom, remember what happened to Miles Archer! Just watch out for a fatman named  Gutman or a nervous little guy named Wilmer! :lol:

#30 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

applause.gif

popcorn.gif

Garrison Keillor or Sam Spade?! wink.gif

Just be careful what you stumble into Tom, remember what happened to Miles Archer! Just watch out for a fatman named  Gutman or a nervous little guy named Wilmer! lol.gif

lol.gif   funnypost.gif rofl2.gif     You Two crack me up ........  https://www.youtube....h?v=qMm1ewxA0nU

• terraclarke likes this

#31 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

You know, if you put Tom in a white suit with red sneakers, and stuck some glasses on him, he would look remarkably like Garrison Keillor!

"It's been a quiet week in Lake Cloudbegone... only one old scope found this week..."

• KentTolley, rcwolpert and TOM KIEHL like this

#32 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

Where was I ?  Oh yes the three phone numbers .

The next morning I had my coffee thinking of the questions I would ask if one of my three phone numbers did produce someone that knew something about Charles W . Peiffer .

At 10:45 am. , I thought that was a good time to start calling . In hopes not to wake or annoy this Carol J . Peiffer .  I proceeded to call the first phone number .

1st phone number ..... Nothing but a constant Busy Signal upon several tries  ! DRAT ! .... Strike One smirk.gif

2nd phone number..... Rang , and Rang , And Rang  , with no pick up or a chance to leave a message on an answering machine ....DRAT AGAIN !smirk.gif One must try this number again later .coolnod.gif  Ball One lol.gif

3rd and final phone number.... Ding a ling , ding a ling , ding a ling , ( that's the phone ringing , NOT ME !tongue2.gif ) .... JUST when I thought this is another non pick up and I  will never find out anything about Charles ......................THE answering machine PICKS up and says LEAVE A MESSAGE......COOL ! lol.gif    I'll take that as , Ball Two lol.gif ..... I started to leave a message explaining , Who I was , Where I live , My phone number , and who I was trying to contact and why..... AS SOON AS I MENTIONED THE WORD TELESCOPE ,,,,,,, My message was interrupted by a PICK UP,  and a woman's voice said ......"  Hello , I'm Carol J . Peiffer and that is my DAD's old telescope "  ........

HOME RUN ! waytogo.gifcool.gif  More later , on the hour and fifteen minute phone conversation between Carol J. Peiffer and myself....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6038.jpg
  • IMG_6040.jpg
  • IMG_6047.jpg
  • IMG_6041.jpg

• astro140, clamchip, DreamWeaver and 9 others like this

#33 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:17 AM

lol.gif   funnypost.gif rofl2.gif     You Two crack me up ........  https://www.youtube....h?v=qMm1ewxA0nU

I’ll see your bet and raise you ten:

https://youtu.be/-p0ZYlDFfXI

:roflmao:

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#34 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

Where was I ?  Oh yes the three phone numbers .

The next morning I had my coffee thinking of the questions I would ask if one of my three phone numbers did produce someone that knew something about Charles W . Peiffer .

At 10:45 am. , I thought that was a good time to start calling . In hopes not to wake or annoy this Carol J . Peiffer .  I proceeded to call the first phone number .

1st phone number ..... Nothing but a constant Busy Signal upon several tries  ! DRAT ! .... Strike One smirk.gif

2nd phone number..... Rang , and Rang , And Rang  , with no pick up or a chance to leave a message on an answering machine ....DRAT AGAIN !smirk.gif One must try this number again later .coolnod.gif  Ball One lol.gif

3rd and final phone number.... Ding a ling , ding a ling , ding a ling , ( that's the phone ringing , NOT ME !tongue2.gif ) .... JUST when I thought this is another non pick up and I  will never find out anything about Charles ......................THE answering machine PICKS up and says LEAVE A MESSAGE......COOL ! lol.gif    I'll take that as , Ball Two lol.gif ..... I started to leave a message explaining , Who I was , Where I live , My phone number , and who I was trying to contact and why..... AS SOON AS I MENTIONED THE WORD TELESCOPE ,,,,,,, My message was interrupted by a PICK UP,  and a woman's voice said ......"  Hello , I'm Carol J . Peiffer and that is my DAD's old telescope "  ........

HOME RUN ! waytogo.gifcool.gif  More later , on the hour and fifteen minute phone conversation between Carol J. Peiffer and myself....

Play ball!

https://youtu.be/2ZksQd2fC6Y

:rofl:

• bremms and TOM KIEHL like this

#35 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

Cool old ATM Tom. I assume you'll make it function and preserve it's originallity?

Edited by Kasmos, 17 July 2019 - 01:37 PM.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#36 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

I'm guessing that Tom got a date with Ms. Peiffer...  waytogo.gif

• DreamWeaver, bremms and TOM KIEHL like this

#37 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:36 PM

Chuck , You have listened to Meatloaf , Paradise By  The Dashboard Lights , Too Much rofl2.gif

https://www.youtube....h?v=Yoc0IThgTRs

• DreamWeaver and jcruse64 like this

#38 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:51 PM

Cool old ATM Tom. I assume you'll make it function and preserve it's originallity?

Yes Chris , great pains will be taken to preserve the scopes 84 year old originality . Bolts , nuts and washers will be removed and replaced into the same holes as before . This has to be done to remove the primary mirror and hopefully " JUST " clean it . If recoating the surface of the primary must be done to restore optical quality , then so be it . The finder scope is going to be a bear tho to restore . Early examination of it reveals grub screws that affix the objective lens cell to the optical tube and the same is said for the eyepiece and prism end . With all grub screws  painted over with the ever present green paint . The helical focusing eyepiece and objective lens of the finder scope is Extremely Dirty . I have hopes the the dirt is external only and not internal . If internal I have no idea how the crud got inside . The finder seems to be hermetically sealed with tight fits and paint . The secondary Prism surfaces can be cleaned in place with a lens cleaner drenched tissue then dried with another dry tissue .  Collimation of the primary will be a experience , and I can hardly wait to see what , if any , marks are revealed on the primary glass as in script or a name . Carol did tell me that her dad DID figure the primary in a class in Pittsburgh . Possibly  a AAAP workshop (Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh ) that her dad Charles W. Peiffer was a member of . 

Optical functionality will be the only thing restored on this ATM ubetcha.gif      

• steve t, bremms, TSSClay and 1 other like this

#39 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

applause.gif

popcorn.gif

“Welcome to Lake Cloudsbegone, where all the nights are clear, all the telescopes are good-looking, and all the optics are above average.”

• Chuck Hards, bremms, TOM KIEHL and 3 others like this

#40 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:19 PM

MRS. Carol J . Peiffer is a happily married woman to William K. Schad . Carol explained to me that she changed her name once and then changed it back again . She said two changes was enough and never again. Not  even when she married William . Besides Ms. Suzy wouldn't give me approval .shocked.gif    blackeye.gif  rofl2.gif 

• DreamWeaver, steve t, Chuck Hards and 1 other like this

#41 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:30 AM

Well Gang , Not to much more to add about the Scope itself . At least  until I get into the restoration part of the optics .

I do have a couple tidbits of info about Charles that Carol shared that might be of some interest .

Carol stated that her dad was pretty much a self taught  " Renaissance Man "  of sorts . That he also enjoyed playing the organ at his church . He was a amateur radio operator ( a HAM ) and built his own radio . Carol stated that his radio was so powerful , that when he keyed up the mike to transmit the hall light bulb that was OFF , would GLOW shocked.gif . Also her dad would stash money in that radio thinking it was safe there because Charles said " No one would feel safe sticking their hands in there with all those tubes and wires ".   lol.gif  Charles worked during the Great Depression as a Calligrapher in some kind of document company that required his skills ( That explains the joined  Calligraphy  initials C and P  on the Telescope's mount ) . After the Depression Charles worked and then later retired from the Post Office  . Charles was fortunate enough  to meet and shake the hand of Albert  Einstein once at an event in Pittsburgh .waytogo.gif Charles was also an accomplished carpenter / cabinet maker   ( He built the Grandfather Clock that I seen at Ron's house , My Craigslist seller )  .

Also as mentioned  earlier Charles ground the primary mirror in the telescope , and was a member of the AAAP ( Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh )............bow.gif

And Now , You Know The Rest Of The Story ! .....Garrison Keillor.... Good Day ! lol.gif  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6042.jpg
  • IMG_6044.jpg
  • IMG_6046.jpg

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 18 July 2019 - 08:32 AM.

• tim53, astro140, clamchip and 7 others like this

#42 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:39 AM

Tom,

Great detective work.  Since Charles was a member of the Pittsburgh club, which was very active in telescope making I'm sure he made the mirror and telescope with the help of Leo Scanlon  who has direct ties to Stellafane and Russell Porter. Scanlon made the first aluminium domed observatory and his Springfield mount telescope used the same octagon shaped tube. http://old.3ap.org/f...anlonBio1.shtml  So I'm sure the two men knew each other well.   On the link about  Scanlon there is mention of  when he meet Einstein which is most likely when Charles meet him as well.  It also states that Scanlon was a plumber so I'm sure that is why Charles mount is made from pipe fittings. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 18 July 2019 - 09:44 AM.

• tim53, oldscope, steve t and 2 others like this

#43 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

Tom,

Great detective work.  Since Charles was a member of the Pittsburgh club, which was very active in telescope making I'm sure he made the mirror and telescope with the help of Leo Scanlon  who has direct ties to Stellafane and Russell Porter. Scanlon made the first aluminium domed observatory and his Springfield mount telescope used the same octagon shaped tube. http://old.3ap.org/f...anlonBio1.shtml  So I'm sure the two men knew each other well.   On the link about  Scanlon there is mention of  when he meet Einstein which is most likely when Charles meet him as well.  It also states that Scanlon was a plumber so I'm sure that is why Charles mount is made from pipe fittings. 

- Dave 

Thanks Dave bow.gif waytogo.gif  , ...I did reach out to the AAAP and I did talk to a Tom from that club via the phone . Tom did mention Leo in our conversation , and said that he most likely knew Charles but alas Charles and Leo are both deceased . Tom said the club ( that is still active) has No Archive of past members and no present members old enough to remember Charles .frown.gif  

• steve t and TSSClay like this

#44 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:17 AM

Tom,

Interested to hear what the primary mirror is all about, plate or Pyrex or possibly metal,  yes Pittsburgh guys were experimenting with that ! 

Are the pipe fittings for the RA axis machined out or is it running on the pipe threads as the bearing ?  The finder looks commercial and made from brass.  Since Brashear was located in Pittsburgh which turned into Fecker, I bet the finder came from them.    

- Dave  

Edited by DAVIDG, 18 July 2019 - 10:21 AM.

• steve t, TOM KIEHL and TSSClay like this

#45 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

Dave thanks for the link waytogo.gif I just read the entire link . Mr. Leo Scanlon was quite the man bow.gif .

#46 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:45 PM

Tom,

Interested to hear what the primary mirror is all about, plate or Pyrex or possibly metal,  yes Pittsburgh guys were experimenting with that ! 

Are the pipe fittings for the RA axis machined out or is it running on the pipe threads as the bearing ?  The finder looks commercial and made from brass.  Since Brashear was located in Pittsburgh which turned into Fecker, I bet the finder came from them.    

- Dave  

Yes Dave the suspense is killing me about the mirror .drool5.gif I must first study the scope as to how I plan to disassemble without destroying or disturbing any originality . At this point I'm hesitant to even recoat the mirror  if it needs it .  I agree the finder does looks commercial . Along with it's helical focuser and fine lined  reticle  .

THE RA AXIS  ...... The OTA yoke and RA axis is constructed of  2 -1" 90* union elbows , (The Stiction for ota DEC. is adjustable by tightening or loosening the 2/3 nut of the union fittings ) .  2 - 1" elbows , 1- 1" T fitting   and 5 - 1" pipe nipples . The 1"dia. long leg nipple , RA axis , of the yoke assembly extends through a 1 1/4 " Y  , RA  axis , fitting that has two nipples  .  Finished with a 1" pipe cap ( to adjust Stiction in RA.) on the end .  As A Bearing , Yes ...And NOT On Any Threads .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6021.jpg
  • IMG_6029.jpg

Edited by TOM KIEHL, 18 July 2019 - 12:59 PM.

• Bomber Bob and jcruse64 like this

#47 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:00 PM

Tom,

The mirror  wasn't made with bad coating so recoating  it  takes it back to   when it was first made and in my opinion makes it more original,  not less.  You get to see how the scope  performed when new as Chralie made it. I'm sure that is what he would want vs not showing  his true talents as an ATM.   As I have said many times, scopes are meant to be looked thru not just  looked at so restoring them so they give good images is not a sin in my book. 

- Dave 

• oldscope, steve t, bremms and 2 others like this

#48 John Rogers

John Rogers

Ranger 4

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:02 PM

Nobody noticed my new driveway frown.gif cool.gif

Easy to miss if you are doing the speed limit.smile.gif 

• jcruse64 likes this

#49 oldscope

oldscope

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: State of perpetual confusion

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:45 PM

Tom,

The mirror  wasn't made with bad coating so recoating  it  takes it back to   when it was first made and in my opinion makes it more original,  not less.  You get to see how the scope  performed when new as Chralie made it. I'm sure that is what he would want vs not showing  his true talents as an ATM.   As I have said many times, scopes are meant to be looked thru not just  looked at so restoring them so they give good images is not a sin in my book. 

- Dave 

I just noticed this topic. Very nice find, Tom! Dave is IMHO absolutely correct. Don't fret about recoating the mirror. In fact it is probably not the original coating. I'd bet that in 1935, it was first silvered using the Brashear process. Aluminizing was a relatively new process and not readily available. But over the decades it was probably recoated once or more and that would have been aluminum. This telescope is a great example of the ATM efforts in the Pittsburgh area and as Dave also pointed out, the OTA is very similar in construction to Leo Scanlon's tube. I was the one that carted Leo's telescope from Pittsburgh to the Hartness-Porter museum a few years ago. Tom, have you put a magnet to the metal of the OTA? Is it ferrous or is it aluminum? (I'd guess aluminum.)

The paint on the pipes is priceless and the calligraphic initials are just perfect! If you are cleaning it, you need to be quite careful to do no harm to the paint. And certainly do some archival photo documentation of all the details. Personally, I think it is a more important telescope than you might have first thought. I'd bet that the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh would love to have it. Or the Hartness-Porter museum in Springfield.

Well done you, Tom!

Bart F.

• tim53, clamchip and TOM KIEHL like this

#50 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:10 AM

I do have a couple tidbits of info about Charles that Carol shared that might be of some interest .

He was a amateur radio operator ( a HAM ) and built his own radio . Carol stated that his radio was so powerful , that when he keyed up the mike to transmit the hall light bulb that was OFF , would GLOW shocked.gif

...just started reading this thread Tom & now I'm hooked..! wink.gif

Just wanted to assure anyone reading the bit about the hall light who might think this is some sentimental exagerration of Carol's - not at all, we would wind coils with a bulb across the ends of the windings & a variable capacitor/condensor & take them down to the local radio station's transmitting antenna & "tune in" & light up bulbs from the signal.

Dad was a ham but power output was restricted in Oz for hams...but when he wound a transformer for an arc welder he made he miscalculated the winding ratio - the neighbours would always know when Dad was welding by their house lights flickering when he did! lol.gif

• steve t, TOM KIEHL and shredder1656 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics