•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finding Central Meridians

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Amarillo, TX

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm getting the new laptop set up with all the software I'll be needing and I can't seem to find a program to get Saturn's CM. I found one for Jupiter and one for Mars. Would be nice to have one program that does all 3. Thanks!

Joel

#2 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

The software Winjupos, which is frequently used for derotation of images, also does exactly what you are interested in.  On Saturn there are three coordinate systems and you can get all three with Winjupos.  The program is also good for general ephemeris data and moon positions.  Just enter the time and date and you will get the data.  You can also use the program to make measurements on your image, and create polar projections with fairly accurate coordinates overlaid on the image, in addition to the general derotation capabilities.  There is a bit of a learning curve to using it, since the software is somewhat outdated and doesn't have a flashy user interface, but it is very useful and not difficult.  

Edited by Tom Glenn, 12 July 2019 - 05:40 PM.

• PirateMike likes this

#3 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:04 PM

There is a bit of a learning curve to using it, since the software is somewhat outdated and doesn't have a flashy user interface, but it is very useful and not difficult.  

"Old software" beats "no software" any day.

Miguel   8-)

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:30 PM

Most (okay, maybe not "most", but many) planetarium applications will also tell you the CM values for any point in time. TSX, Guide, etc.

As indicated above, Winjupos also has a spectacularly good ephemeris feature. I don't find the UI that 'clunky', but it may be a matter of personal taste.

I am sure there are also a plethora of iOS and Android apps for those who prefer more mobile technology.

#5 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:11 AM

I’ve just googled central meridian....pardon my ignorance but why is it of interest ?

I’m clearly missing out on something.

#6 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:26 AM

I’ve just googled central meridian....pardon my ignorance but why is it of interest ?

I’m clearly missing out on something.

If you know the longitude of the central meridian in any image, then you can superimpose a coordinate system on the planet.  An example would be in the projection maps you see created in Winjupos.  Features can then be tracked over time by different observers.  Because atmospheric features such as storms don't remain fixed, it is useful to have an accurate coordinate system placed on the image to track the feature.  

• kevinbreen likes this

#7 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

Cheers Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics