•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Programs that require discrete video RAM?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

My wife's 15" MacBook Pro is finally on it's last legs after 8 1/2 years and I'm trying to figure out what to do for a replacement. My 15" MacBook Pro is still doing pretty well as it has 8 gb of RAM versus her 4 gb (her issues appear to be RAM related), and I may end up giving her that one because she's attached to the screen size and is exceptionally fussy about keyboards (she's always balked at the 13" models) - trying to spend less money if I can.

For my part I would be happy with the 13", but one of the things that has previously pushed me to the 15" is that it is the only model where you can get a dedicated video card with discrete RAM, which I used to need for games (don't do that on the laptop much anymore) and some astronomy programs.

I can't remember what astronomy programs drove that need, and was hoping y'all might be able to help me pin that down so I can decide if I can drop that requirement in this purchase. Thanks!

#2 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:06 PM

Well I'm not sure what your requirements will be, but the newer MacBook Pros have some specs that leave the older ones in the dust. I have been a Mac user since the old Apple II days. My current portable is a 13" MacBook Pro (late 2013). I bought it from Apple as a refurbished. Saved quite a bit of money, and they carry the same warranty as new. I couldn't tell that it wasn't new. Have had it for about 5 years and it still runs like the day I got it. I even partitioned the drive w/bootcamp and run windows for my work. It totally smokes all of the Dell's and HP's on the job site! Be sure to check the Apple site for refurbished products.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics