•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Big Bang is not a theory of the origins of the universe.

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Bill001

Bill001

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:24 PM

Touché

Ditto

#52 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

If one cannot explain something as simple as my question then they should not make astronomy a hobby. 

That's a bit insulting. What's wrong with looking at the universe with simple wonder and appreciation. There is no requirement for an astrophysics degree to have astronomy as a hobby.

• Jim_V likes this

#53 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:15 AM

That's a bit insulting. What's wrong with looking at the universe with simple wonder and appreciation. There is no requirement for an astrophysics degree to have astronomy as a hobby.

Huh?

Huh?

Edited by Jeff B1, 29 July 2019 - 11:29 AM.

#54 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

I'll bet some of you follow T.J.J. See.

#55 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

How about the Flat Black Steady State?

#56 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

Maybe Dark Steady State?

#57 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

c0cb89f9f3edc3542d9a97a4d2040df6.jpg

• mountain monk likes this

#58 DaveC2042

DaveC2042

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:49 PM

Let There Be Stuff

#59 Bill001

Bill001

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

Just saw this article.  Was nice to see as too often the media just characterizes everything incorrectly.

A snippet -

The Big Bang is not a theory of the origins of the universe. I will say it again just to be clear: The Big Bang is not a theory of the origins of the universe. In fact, we have no scientific theory of the origins of the universe.  The Big Bang is a model of the early history of the universe based on abundant observations.

https://www.americam...at-you-think-it

Actually it was considered that in the early days and even Steven Hawking contributed to false memes in public. Now they cant call it the origin because they know of no cause for the event. Causality falls apart. Scientist are just quitely sneaking out that door trying to talk their way out of it.

• Steve Cox likes this

#60 Jim_V

Jim_V

ISS

• Loc: Iron Range Lake Ontario

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:15 PM

Actually it was considered that in the early days and even Steven Hawking contributed to false memes in public. Now they cant call it the origin because they know of no cause for the event. Causality falls apart. Scientist are just quitely sneaking out that door trying to talk their way out of it.

Fred Hoyle often wished he had never uttered that term...explosion and expansion are not necessarily the same thing.  

• Bill001 likes this

#61 Bill001

Bill001

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 February 2020 - 07:17 PM

Let There Be Stuff

..... and the stuff good and wonderous. Let the stuff multiply and be properousless

#62 Otto Piechowski

Otto Piechowski

Vanguard

• Loc: Lexington, KY

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:53 PM

Please feel free to respond to any or each of the following three questions/topics.

In each of the following, my comments and questions are sincere.

Some years ago, there was a conference at the Vatican dealing with cosmological issues.   Stephen Hawking was one of participants; I believe he was a member of the Vatican's Academy of Science for the purpose of giving input to the Pope.  Pope John Paul II gave an address.  I recall (meaning, I may be wrong, but perhaps not) that he welcomed the discussion but suggested that the question of what existed before the Big Bang (or whatever phrase he used); that that not be discussed.  Or perhaps, he said that science as science was not able to discuss this question.  I also seem to recall that Hawking took issue with the Pope on this point.  I am sure I am summarizing this wrong, and I would appreciate someone(s) among you who know to clarify what I am incorrectly summarizing.

In the more recent past, I read a statement of Hawking's in which he said that the universe came into existence out of the nothingness itself; that there was some type of force within nothing (or perhaps within space, he said, though I do not remember).  I also read a commentary which suggested that the Big Bang was not a point in time, but more of a curved boundary within an extended space itself.   Interestingly, perhaps a year ago, at a weekly visit I do to a federal prison for women, in a dialogue about the biblical book of Genesis, the women there revealed they had heard about Hawking's comments regarding the origin of the universe out of the nothing/space and were interested in learning what he meant.  I would appreciate your comments about the content and meaning of what Hawking said on this topic of the origin of the universe.

Finally, a metaphysical question; classical and scholastic metaphysics state that every actual thing is composed of two necessary elements; esse (being) and essentia (essence/what-ness).  Scholastic metaphysics states that all things (except God whose essence is existence) necessarily have both (forgive the following tautology, but this means that things other than God cannot exist if they do not have both existence and essence).  So; first, is my understanding of the scholastic distinction of esse and essentia correct?  And second, assuming this scholastic distinction is correct, is it then logical/illogical to posit that though the essence of things in the universe is a product of this Hawking' nothingness/space; that the being/existence/is-ness of those things is not also a product of that nothingness/space? 

Thank you.

Otto

Edited by Otto Piechowski, 20 February 2020 - 05:29 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics