•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher EvoStar 80ED

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:02 PM

The package I bought came with a 20 and a 5. Both have proven to be excellent eps.

Personally, I usually use a Baader zoom, or WO binoviewers if observing the moon.

• starryhtx likes this

#27 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

The package I bought came with a 20 and a 5. Both have proven to be excellent eps.

Personally, I usually use a Baader zoom, or WO binoviewers if observing the moon.

Which Baader zoon do you recommend? What's the zoom range?

#28 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

It’s 8 to 24. Mark IV. It’s awesome.

• barbie and starryhtx like this

#29 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

I’d say if you go with the Baader get the dedicated Barlow for it and be done for a while. At least until you figure out what else you may want with it. 

• pdxmoon, Cpk133 and starryhtx like this

#30 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:59 PM

It’s 8 to 24. Mark IV. It’s awesome.

Thanks!

#31 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:59 PM

I’d say if you go with the Baader get the dedicated Barlow for it and be done for a while. At least until you figure out what else you may want with it. 

Thanks, I'm excited to try it out!

#32 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

How would ya'll compare this scope to a Takahashi 76?

#33 Alterf

Alterf

Viking 1

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:13 AM

I have a SW Pro ED 80.  The optics are really nice.  I observe double stars at nearly 300x without any real breakdown of the image.  I saw the companion of Antares with this scope a few weeks ago and have enjoyed looking at Jupiter's GRS.  Large open clusters are great in it.  The longer focal length cuts down on field curvature.

I replaced the focuser, which I found too fiddly for me; a Feathertouch is much better.  The diagonal that came with the scope is very good.  The finderscope is also excellent.

Val

#34 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

Anyone know which eye pieces would be best with this scope for the moon, planets, and double stars? Also, what power barlow lens can be used? 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x?

You can use any power multiplier you like; just depends on which eyepiece you put in it.

Tele Vue has a section on their website that makes recommendations for Low, Med-Low, Med-High and High powers. Check it out. Of course they recommend their eyepieces but you can use it as a guide to select focal lengths.

Your choices should be dictated by what you really enjoy and the seeing you typically have. A good 80mm should be able to do 160x on most targets and 200-250x if you're serious about double stars. There are a gazillion choices out there in eyepieces so start with your budget and go from there.

#35 agilix

agilix

Lift Off

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

Totally agree with the moderator that we don't want to dive into AP.

Still, my question is valid because the field flattener is also useful for viewing, and I raised this point to draw attention to the cost of add-on accessories like this. It looks like SW makes flatteners for every doublet, and I am wondering why and if they are exchangeable.

Further, why the SW 80ED can not use other field flattener, such as this one in Classified?

https://www.cloudyni...ield-flattener/

Generic ones are cheaper but is there anything unique that we have to buy the SW brand specifically for each ED doublet? Thanks!

Moderator Note:

The topic of this thread, the suitability of the SW 80 ED for general observing, is inherently broad enough to include whether it can be feasibly accessorized for versatile use for both general observing and astrophotography.  And so, it's topically appropriate to ask about the cost and versatility of available field flatteners for the SW 80 ED.

THAT SAID: let's not go too far down the AP rabbit hole in this thread.  Anyone wanting to inquire further than that about imaging techniques with the SW 80 ED or comparing its quality vs other refractors for imaging, etc. should start a new thread in either this forum or one of the imaging forums, focusing on those sorts of inquiries.

#36 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:24 PM

I use a field flattener for low power viewing with the C80ED (same lens). It screws into the scope end of a 2" diagonal. It works well.

#37 agilix

agilix

Lift Off

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:31 AM

Glad to hear you tried it! Would you please share the brand or model you used?

So, we don't have to use the one made by SW! Thanks!

I use a field flattener for low power viewing with the C80ED (same lens). It screws into the scope end of a 2" diagonal. It works well.

#38 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

Glad to hear you tried it! Would you please share the brand or model you used?

So, we don't have to use the one made by SW! Thanks!

The TSFlat2 from Teleskop-Express. There have been a couple of threads about it over the years.

#39 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

How would you compare this scope to a Takahashi 76 for visual?

#40 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:50 AM

How would you compare this scope to a Takahashi 76 for visual?

You’ve asked this twice I noticed with no response. I think you’ll be better off reading reviews between each one as they are in a way two different beasts. One be a tak and one being a Synta doublet. Both I’m sure without a doubt have favorable reviews by their owners. 

#41 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

I have a SW Pro ED 80.  The optics are really nice.  I observe double stars at nearly 300x without any real breakdown of the image.  I saw the companion of Antares with this scope a few weeks ago and have enjoyed looking at Jupiter's GRS.  Large open clusters are great in it.  The longer focal length cuts down on field curvature.

I replaced the focuser, which I found too fiddly for me; a Feathertouch is much better.  The diagonal that came with the scope is very good.  The finderscope is also excellent.

Val

How did you replace the focuser?

#42 jnmacastro

jnmacastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:09 PM

If you're still leaning toward the SW Evostar 80mm, the Evostars will be on sale during August.  $705 for the 80.

Got my Sky and Telescope yesterday and the sale is listed there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics