•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Surprising what you can do with an iPhone and lazyness. (Moon)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

I was looking at the moon which was thankfully looking good because it was happily washing out most everything else.

I wanted something to show the people at work and then I figured, hmm I wonder if I can just hold my iPhone over my eyepiece like I have heard some people say to get something to show the people at work.  Its just an SE and not the fancy new iPhones with a better camera.

I would be beaten with a stick on the Pentax forums for this half-assery since I have a fairly new full frame Pentax DSLR that I have never tried using for this. (I'll get around to it)

This is unedited (I didn't even change the file name) using whatever settings the phone decided to use (I never even looked at the exif) with my ES 127mm, baader diagonal and 5.5mm on the manual alt az mount.

The actual view was clearer and higher magnification I may have introduced some fuzziness due to lens tilt.  Kinda impressed at the clarity and absolute lack of false color this setup produces viewed live. (not with camera that is)

On the plus side this has somewhat inspired me look into attaching the DSLR to the scope.  My CPC800 would probably be the appropriate choice since I do have the heavy wedge for it but its out of commission until I get around to doing a CLA on it to fix issues.

gallery_269090_11526_1621470.jpg

gallery_269090_11526_1391914.jpg

Edited by PPPPPP42, 12 July 2019 - 09:54 PM.

• Jim Waters, mikewayne3, Lacaille and 3 others like this

#2 schu

schu

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:40 PM

Awesome!  This is exactly how I got started, just playing around with my iPhone in the eyepiece.  It's surprising how much you can do with just a phone.  

#3 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:54 PM

Nice one!

Careful of the slippery slope though ... it can get addictive. ;)

#4 cajusor

cajusor

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

Great images 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics