•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Perpetual Disappointment

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

I've finally reached a point where I don't even care anymore:

Uncomfortable cold in winter.

Blood sucking mosquitos in summer

Endless supply of clouds

Jetstream 

Then there are rare nights like tonight when the temperature is comfortable, no work tomorrow it's clear, good seeing forecast and the failure to launch mid twenties neighbor kid still living with mommy and daddy next door decides to have a campfire in the driveway with one of those lawn fire pit things.  It's an automatic no go unless I want to smell like an ash tray and spend the next day cleaning ash off my scope.  Last night, similar conditions and wouldn't you know, some knuckle head down the street had a big fire in his shed, fire department and everything.  Guess who was down wind of all the black smoke.  Last Sunday night, good conditions for astronomy and for a massive fish fly hatch.  Swarms of bugs.  Tomorrow night will be cloudy and guarantee, there won't be anyone or anything going on in the hood.

• Jon Isaacs, stevenwav, PirateMike and 4 others like this

#2 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:52 PM

Odds are it has to get better for you now!! waytogo.gif 

• 39.1N84.5W, Tyson M and Cpk133 like this

#3 JohnAkai

JohnAkai

Ranger 4

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:18 PM

The same problems in Portland, Oregon =( :-( ÷(

• CeeKay likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:36 PM

Could have Big Barry lookin' at you, down the barrel as I do...

One truth always prevails...This Too Shall Pass. Patience IS a virtue.

• csa/montana, Achernar, Phil Cowell and 4 others like this

#5 CeeKay

CeeKay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:43 PM

The same problems in Portland, Oregon =( :-( ÷(

Yep....

#6 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:02 PM

Move to the Southwest and most of your problems are gone.

FC

• Jon Isaacs and Cpk133 like this

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

It was stuff like that drove us to move to remote rural back in 1982. Decent dark skies, lots of room, quiet, peaceful... and neighbors who think the same way. And it's still like that! Anyway... might be worth considering. The biggest step is realizing that our confines are almost always  defined by the fences that --- we build ourselves!  Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 229 Toms 24-foot dome from west hill.jpg

• Scott in NC, Achernar, dmdouglass and 4 others like this

#8 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:53 AM

That’s just some bad luck. Cause yeah we really needed a night like last night. Tonight wasn’t as good, but close enough. Better than it has been. Should’ve messaged me and came to the house. I was out til the clouds rolled in at around 4:30. I’m still out tonight.

#9 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, it seems that there is always SOMETHING conspiring to wreck a good observing night... but then, when EVERYTHING aligns, and there is nothing to interfere, memories can be made...

Hang in there, odds favor a stellar night in your future...

CB

• Cpk133 and Dynan like this

#10 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:48 AM

Could have Big Barry lookin' at you, down the barrel as I do...

One truth always prevails...This Too Shall Pass. Patience IS a virtue.

Indeed, I am getting a big wet kiss from Barry right now...........undecided.gif I sympathize with the OP, it's either the bad weather, garbage seeing and people who feel they must light everything up brighter than a nuclear weapons storage site at night. If I had the means, I would have moved to an sparely populated, dark area long ago. 

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 13 July 2019 - 09:52 AM.

• Cpk133 and SeaBee1 like this

#11 jerobe

jerobe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:53 AM

Maybe you should become a writer.  The conditions and situations that you described is the basis for a good magazine article!

• Cpk133 likes this

#12 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

Same problems here , bugs, smoke from forest fires,a house that backs on to me has a TV so large it will fry a Rabbit at 100 yrds with no blinds or curtains up, the old biddy insists on sitting outside and yacking on the phone so loud you can hear all her business, then theirs the 600 homes being built up the road under the guise of improvement for the area, pretty sad, D

#13 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

That’s just some bad luck. Cause yeah we really needed a night like last night. Tonight wasn’t as good, but close enough. Better than it has been. Should’ve messaged me and came to the house. I was out til the clouds rolled in at around 4:30. I’m still out tonight.

Wanted to give a quick update.  Jond, you lit a fire under my butt last night with your comments about how good the seeing was.  The neighbor shut down earlier than usual (around 1130).  I figured the odds were pretty good so I took a chance and drug everything outside.  The temp had cooled pretty close to inside a/c temp so I figured it was worth the effort.  One look with a 9mm ortho and I knew I made a good choice.  In went the binoviewer and there were indeed some moments of excellent seeing.  I managed to swing over to Saturn for some really steady moments (it was positioned in my sweet spot with no nearby houses or heat sinks).  I got in a good hour before things started to degrade enough to throw in the towel.  Fingers crossed for Sunday night.

• Jon Isaacs, clearwaterdave, mikerepp and 3 others like this

#14 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

Maybe you should become a writer.  The conditions and situations that you described is the basis for a good magazine article!

It would have to be something other than astronomy or everyone would leave the hobby lol.

#15 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:05 PM

I shouldn't even thing about observing until Oct.1st. The summer sucks in the south every year. I haven't even seen Jupiter yet and it's one of my favorite objects with it's moons channging every night. Eeven now it's still pretty big with Saturn not to far from it! And then there is all of those great DSO's out with M13 very high up in the sky!

Just looked at the 10 day forecast and it's 95* and cloudy each night frown.gif

• Jon Isaacs, Cpk133 and trapdoor2 like this

#16 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

I shouldn't even thing about observing until Oct.1st. The summer sucks in the south every year. I haven't even seen Jupiter yet and it's one of my favorite objects with it's moons channging every night. Eeven now it's still pretty big with Saturn not to far from it! And then there is all of those great DSO's out with M13 very high up in the sky!

This hobby really does take serious patience when you live east of the Mississippi.  But we really appreciate and remember the days when it's good.  I can vividly remember setting up in my front yard a few years ago, clear, good seeing and Jupiter in a twilight sky.  Blue festoon bases, so many belts and subtle colors it was like a dream.

• Jon Isaacs and JMKarian like this

#17 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

OMG he's at it again.  I can't even go out with a grab n go.  Twp ordinance allows for these portable fire pits within 15 feet of property line.  I'm going to have to create a ballot initiative.

#18 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:43 PM

CPK:

The cloud cover, and light pollution drove in SE Mich drove me batty growing up. Winters are long, harsh and often wet. Moving to OK totally changed my perspective on the merits of amateur astronomy. However, I’m vacationing with family in NW Mich above Traverse City and the sky here is clear, the temp is perfect and humidity is low. Light pollution is much less of an issue—although the moon is an impediment to DSO viewing for a few more days. Can’t do anything about your nutty neighbors as they exist in many places and I know you can’t drive 4 hours at the drop of a hat, but sometimes even driving 15 minutes can get you away from the stupid and/or inconsiderate.

Chesterguy

ps. It’s easily 20+ degrees cooler here than it was when I last viewed in OK so there are perks to being in MI

• Achernar, Cpk133 and Jond105 like this

#19 NightF0x

NightF0x

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Western NC

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:30 PM

Really?  That sucks, because I'm in NC and have been out almost every night for the past couple of weeks.  Yes the hurricane is pushing a lot of clouds our way but you can usually get in a short session until about 11pm then the clouds show up.  Seeing isn't perfect but if we wait for perfect nights, we'll never go out.

• SeaBee1 and Dynan like this

#20 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:45 PM

I was able to get in a short session tonight, with mosquito face netting and long sleeves.  Saw Jupiter, Saturn, and a few double stars before the cloud bands started rolling in from the southeast.  Probably be cloudy for next three nights.  Full moon coming anyway.   No dew until dark tonight.  We have been getting dew 30 minutes before sundown lately, on clearer evenings.

• Jon Isaacs and Cpk133 like this

#21 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

Really?  That sucks, because I'm in NC and have been out almost every night for the past couple of weeks.  Yes the hurricane is pushing a lot of clouds our way but you can usually get in a short session until about 11pm then the clouds show up.  Seeing isn't perfect but if we wait for perfect nights, we'll never go out.

Wow, good for you! I'm in Gastonia, where are you that you have had good night? A friend of mine in over the mountains in TN and he has been have some great nights lately.

• NightF0x likes this

#22 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

Another update- rigged up a 70mm achromat to my AVX for some gorilla observing.  Again, they shut down the fire around 1030.  I was really shocked at what I was able to observe.  I'll be starting a thread in the frac forum, cheap frac fun to discuss some of my observations.

• Scott in NC, Jond105 and Dynan like this

#23 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region & Cumberland Valley, Kentucky

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

Friday night and last night were really great (until about 12:30 EDT this morning).  I primarily am a solar system and double star observer.  The seeing was very good Friday (4/5) and great last night (5/5).  The wealth I've recorded on Jupiter the last two nights have been exciting.

Clear skies,

Randy

#24 Feidb

Feidb

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

Find another hobby or move. Since moving is probably out of the question for you...

#25 Jond105

Jond105

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

I’m at work, but can tell it’s gorgeous out right now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics