•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

150mm mak focuser upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 supertrucker

supertrucker

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: weatherford texas

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

I plan to upgrade the focuser on my newer model 6" orion mak. Any suggestions? And is this a simple project or complex installation project? Thanks for your input. Jack...

#2 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

My only experience is with the focuser that attaches to the sct threads. Makes fine focus smooth and light and shift-free. Downsides are the weight/bulk and possibly expense. GSO and Moonlite are two options for this type.

#3 DogOne

DogOne

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

Check this link out:

http://starlightinst...&product_id=244

#4 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:53 PM

I plan to upgrade the focuser on my newer model 6" orion mak. Any suggestions? And is this a simple project or complex installation project? Thanks for your input. Jack...

Why do you want to add a focuser? I added one to my 7", because I wanted to eliminate image shift, and I wanted finer control. I found the focuser added a fair bit of weight (I will seem like more with your 6"), and the focus position is further back, meaning your focal length will increase when using it, and your optical correction may not be as good (though I haven't noticed any negatives there). I use the standard GSO two speed. It's shorter than the more expensive, linear bearing model.

To install, If you have another visual back attached, remove it. Then you loosen the rotation lock screws enough to remove the focuser body from the ring that threads on to the back of the scope. Thread on the focuser ring. Reattach the focuser to the ring, and lock it in a usable position. Go viewing.

#5 watchplanets

watchplanets

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:46 AM

I upgraded my 7 inch mak with ft micro not cheap almost 300 not 100% sure it will fit your 6 inch check the list.

U can add the other kind sct thread on but is your back hole 2 inch? I thought smaller maks used 1.25 inch. Also I dont like this way as much it's too long adds more weight to back and if its fork mount won't work then.

Edited by watchplanets, 17 July 2019 - 05:47 AM.

#6 CeeKay

CeeKay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

Check this link out:

http://starlightinst...&product_id=244

I have one for my C-8, very easy to install and made a world of difference when I use it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics