•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Handheld binoculars for astronomy and other general purpose

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MNLegoBoy

MNLegoBoy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: MN

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

Something around $75 10x50's is what I would like unless I get recommended otherwise. Something with the ability to be attached to a tripod, while also being able to be held comfortably, would be nice

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

Most people around here consider the Nikon action extreme 10x50 to be about the best value in low to moderately priced 10x50’s. In part, the Nikon warranty has some real value here. Last check on A-zon was around $150. You can certainly buy cheaper but likely the focusing mechanism will be sloppy or the coatings marginal or prism retention system wimpy or any combination of those and other cost-savings issues. The Nikons will gives you years of great service, day and night. Buy once and be done

• Erik Bakker, John Gauvreau, Grimnir and 3 others like this

#3 DeanD

DeanD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

Other options closer to your price range would be the Nikon Aculon 10x50's, eg: https://www.adorama.com/nk1050acn.html (probably not as well armoured as the "Action": the Actions are billed as "waterproof", while the Aculons are "weather resistant", but optically it is very hard to pick the difference)  or the Pentax SP 10x50: https://www.adorama.com/pxsp1050.html

or the Olympus Trooper DPS I

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Trooper-10x50-Binocular-Black/dp/B0000AKGX3 The Olympus is not as "modern" as the others, with the older style BK7 prisms, but it is a tried and true bino with sharp clear views which is excellent value for money.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these "brand name" porros, as all have good warranties and have been around for a long time.

Good luck, and all the best,

Dean

Edited by DeanD, 13 July 2019 - 10:10 PM.

#4 MNLegoBoy

MNLegoBoy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: MN

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:02 PM

What about the Bushnell Legacy WP 10x50, they are only a little bit over my budget

I looked and i can get the Pentax SP 10x50 for just $4 over my budget on amazon, i think ill go with those

Edited by MNLegoBoy, 14 July 2019 - 09:48 AM.

#5 Antonio R.G

Antonio R.G

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

I have Bushnell Legacy 10x50 and Action EX 10x50 and prefer Nikon. I think Nikon is more solid bino, sharper and and it has less chromatic and aberrations (but only a little). Nikon have less problems with control quality than Bushnell. Pentax SP is very good too but your field of vision is narrow, not so good for astronomy. If Action is expensive for you, should try Aculon 10x50 (but it has short eye relief and no waterproof). In this rank of prices I don't recommend other marks (avoid Celestron, Bresser, etc...)..

Edited by Antonio R.G, 14 July 2019 - 12:41 PM.

#6 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

+2 for the Legacy, Bushnell often have a mail in rebate as well, D.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics