•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need Help advice on AGM powertank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Need_Help

Need_Help

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:11 PM

Greetings All,

After searching for suitable powertanks, i decided to build one on my own. I did this because the present powertanks on the market are way too expensive for the Ahs they provide. The LiFePO4 looks very promising, but higher Ahs are very very expensive. Therefore I decided to buy a 105Ah AGM Sealed Deep Cycle battery.

I built my own powertank using the AGM battery and also bought a trickle smart charger for the battery.

Now my question is, please look at the pictures and let me know if the wiring is correct. 

I plan to connect three accessories 

1)Skywatcher EQ6R mount - 2 AMPS

2)Dew Heater for 115 APO - 2 AMPS

3)ZWO Cooler - 3 AMPS

4)ASIAIR - 2 AMPS

Total is 9 AMPS maximum 

There is one female socket that connects to the battery +ve and -ve terminals. The wire is rated 15amps. Downstream of the female socket there will be a male socket with 4 female outlets to connect the 4 accessories.  I want to know if all the wiring is correct. 

Lastly and Most important. I live in an apartment and I want to know if it is safe to store this battery in my laundry room and charge it in my laundry room. 

In order to see pictures of the Battery please see this Twitter post : https://twitter.com/...242785532010496

#2 bobruben

bobruben

Explorer 1

• Loc: Urbana, IL

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:29 AM

I can't make out much of your wiring, but you should put a fuse in the unit in case you get a short. Hot batteries and melted wires get ugly, and unhealthy real fast.

As far as charging indoors, here are some opinions.

https://electronics....-to-use-indoors

#3 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:32 AM

You need a 15-20A fuse between the (+) terminal of the battery and your equipment. For safety.

What you have planned will work.

What kind of socket is dangling off the battery in your pic. Is it like a car cigarette lighter?  I find those unreliable.  I got some Anderson Powerpole connectors from www.powerwerx.com and they have worked flawlessly.

How is your wire in the pic attached to the battery?

There is a discussion on Reddit this week (with lots of free advice from yours truly) about setting up something like what you have in mind.  Search for the word "duracell" on that page and you will find the start of the discussion.

I would not worry about charging that battery indoors. Keep it that plastic case so no one can drop something on it and short out the terminals.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 14 July 2019 - 12:36 AM.

#4 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:57 AM

I'd have no concerns about charging a sealed battery indoors. I'm using the same box for a deep cycle flooded battery and have had no problems with it. Mine uses a pair of PowerPole connectors mounted in the lower case for connecting my equipment. One is used for the distribution box I built while the other is sometimes used for the computer's DC power supply. PowerPole connectors are generally much more reliable than the push-in cigarette lighter sockets.

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:18 AM

Sealed batteries are not an issue being charged indoors.  Non-sealed batteries where caps can be removed should be charged in a ventilated area. 

I suggest putting your box on a timer system while in storage at the house.  A trickle charger is fine, but some are better than others and all could benefit from being allowed to charge only on an occassional basis.  There are plenty of appliance timers you can use and it's best to let them operate every few days rather than trying to top-off a charge constantly.   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics