•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Red Oval Near Jupiter's South Pole?…Request for Large Aperture Support

planet observing report
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

G'day all,

I wrapped up processing on my second Jupiter session last night, and I noticed a red dimple in the southern polar region that persisted across frames:

post-273658-0-82553600-1563063869.gif

I've seen plenty of weird stuff in the northern polar region, and I've seen dozens of white ovals in the south…but never anything red in the south. A zoom-in on the über-stack shows it to be just in the red and green channels (with practically nothing in the blue):

red_oval.jpg

It looks to be lined up with the meridian hosting Europa's shadow (CMI 220˚, CMII 131˚, CMIII 111˚). Anyone care to take a shot?

Wondering,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 13 July 2019 - 11:27 PM.

• Achernar, CPellier, Billytk and 5 others like this

#2 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

Looks like it was there on my shot from 9 July as well…it was close to the limb, and I was just more interested in Saturn at opposition, so I missed it. I poked around the posts to see what all we've captured:

14 July BQ Octantis: present

10 July wargrafix: present

9 July BQ Octantis: present

29 June Rouzbeh: not present (in the red channel)

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 13 July 2019 - 11:53 PM.

• PirateMike and Astroscrub like this

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:30 AM

I think this is the one I was seeing with the 20" a month ago.   There should be some differences in rotation rate and that looks about like the right position relative to my earlier observation.  Here is the thread with some links to images:  link.  I won't be able to see it again until I go up for some more DSO sessions in a week...where the seeing is better (if it is better...it has been marginal this year) backyard is hopelessly unstable for visual this time of year.

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:34 AM

I think this is the one I was seeing with the 20" a month ago.   There should be some differences in rotation rate and that looks about like the right position relative to my earlier observation.  Here is the thread with some links to images:  link.  I won't be able to see it again until I go up for some more DSO sessions in a week...where the seeing is better (if it is better...it has been marginal this year) backyard is hopelessly unstable for visual this time of year.

Sorry, mate…I've focused almost exclusively on the GRS this year, and I didn't see your original post. The second Dauvergne image does indeed seem to show the same feature on 31 May. The spot was at CMII 124˚ vice 131˚ yesterday, so it's ratcheted forward 7˚ in 1.5 months. I ran the numbers for tonight…looks like it'll be back on the meridian for me at 18:10 local (08:40 UTC). That's a bit early—sunset is at 18:04—but I set the scope out to cool anyway. I haven't actually seen it through the eyepiece, but at 7-in with identical seeing to yesterday, I'm not expecting much. With any luck, my colleagues to the east can catch something…

BQ

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:05 AM

Got a good capture of it crossing the meridian…

001-012_animation.gif

2019-07-14 08:48-09:08 UTC

I'll post the full stack in a different thread.

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 14 July 2019 - 07:47 AM.

#6 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

It's been there since last year. I will pull some data later

#7 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas, United States

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

This spot has been around for a while now. Here are two images I have of it from 2014.

Spoiler

#8 CPellier

CPellier

Apollo

• -----

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:45 AM

Very nice observation. Yes this is one of the red spots of the planet, so it has been there for quite a long time, but it's not easy to spot at this location and you have made a good observation.

#9 wargrafix

wargrafix

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:48 AM

Here it is from last year

gallery_218407_320_53092.jpg

#10 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:17 AM

All,

Thanks for chasing this down. I also found it on my shot from 16 June:

wavelets_021-025_3.5ppAd.jpg

I guess I've never paid attention to the little elements moving around in the darker areas of the poles…

Cheers,

BQ

#11 Vinny1980

Vinny1980

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Aversa, Italy

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

BQ, interesting question. I noticed this spot myself at unusual latitude and I wrote about it in my ALPO report of July 6. From my image, it looks reddish.

The Coordinator of Jupiter section of my Association (to which I requested info) said, surprisingly, that this spot has been around since 25 years (!). This is consistent with what Christophe said above. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-07-06-2130_6-RGB_satellite (1).jpg

Edited by Vinny1980, 15 July 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#12 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:05 PM

BQ, interesting question. I noticed this spot myself at unusual latitude and I wrote about it in my ALPO report of July 6. From my image, it looks reddish.

The Coordinator of Jupiter section of my Association (to which I requested info) said, surprisingly, that this spot has been around since 25 years (!). This is consistent with what Christophe said above. 

Knowing since last month that this one has been around for awhile, I realize that I have probably observed it during previous oppositions on nights of better seeing.   I have a sketch that includes it from 6/2/18 (6/3/18 UTC) at 313x through the 20".  The following images show it and another whiter oval at the same latitude (that one still appears to be present in other images, although it has moved considerably relative to the topic oval--look for it at a longitude between that of the GRS and oval BA, it might be there.)  In the 2018 images this one appears more orange than it did when I observed it this year.  It is the one toward the limb similar in longitude to the GRS.  Link.  I was seeing some other texture at the same latitude when I found it again last month, but nothing else that I could resolve there besides the oval. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics