•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First image, use of scope, in 9 years. Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Amarillo, TX

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:45 AM

See was average at best. I would have never used to set up but since my camera came in today I'll go ahead and post this result. I hope it was just seeing (pretty sure it was) causing the subpar result. Hopefully I'll figure out more.

Attached Thumbnails

• firstjup.jpg

• sfugardi, Kenny V., eros312 and 6 others like this

#2 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:48 AM

Turning on and cleaning the scope after a nine year hibernation was a bit scary. The computer on the scope was fighting with me, saying it was 1999. Finally got it fixed.  These new programs, Autostakker and Firecapture are going to take me a bit of getting used to.

• PirateMike likes this

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:52 AM

Nice job. Your result is totally typical for what we are getting this year in the North, with a few exceptions.  Jupiter must be below 35 degrees for you.  Not a good recipe for success, so your image is not bad at all for a 9 year hiatus.  

#4 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:05 AM

Thanks Tom. To see some of these Aussies' work makes me want to burn my scope. I'm in the Texas Panhandle. One nice surprise was the Nexstar CPC1100 tracked flawlessly after finally getting it aligned; Tracked for well over an hour before I had to make an adjustment, in Alt-Az.

• RedLionNJ likes this

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:12 AM

I don't know much about Texas seeing conditions, but just looking at where you are on a map and seeing no oceans nearby and a continental climate, I would imagine that it's generally pretty bad, especially at low altitude.  Don't even think about comparing your results to people further South!  But on the bright side, it can't get any worse than this year!  Saturn and Jupiter are basically at their lowest declination, and even though they will be slow to rise, it won't get any worse.  And Mars next year will be pretty good.  

#6 Rustler46

Rustler46

Viking 1

• Loc: Coos Bay, Oregon

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:52 AM

Nice result, Lunatiki. While you can do better if it was higher up with better seeing, it matches about what I can discern visually with a C-11. The colors are nice. So you did well for a shakedown run. Keep us posted on your further successes.

Russ 

#7 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:09 AM

Thanks guys. Practiced a bit more on stack sizes and processing. I feel better about this one

Attached Thumbnails

• good2.jpg

Edited by Lunatiki, 14 July 2019 - 03:11 AM.

• RedLionNJ and Joe1950 like this

#8 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:22 AM

Still remembering old tricks. Less noise, brighter.

Attached Thumbnails

• g3.jpg

• RedLionNJ and Tom Glenn like this

#9 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

Welcome back to imaging after 9 years. Well, it didn't take you long to get the hang of it, did it?!

I have the same scope as you. Do you have the wedge for it?

#10 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Gemini

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:52 AM

Nice start. Now you have some data of your own, you'll likely re-re-re-process it a dozen or more times until you feel you've pulled all you can from it. I know that feeling!

There's also the matter of personal taste - some folks prefer noisy/dark, while some prefer 'soft'/light. No approach is wrong, but sharing what works in practice is useful.

This is (as I think Tom said) a totally typical (better) result for the US (Florida doesn't count, sorry guys!) this season.

Keep at it - you'll soon have a handle on optimizing your workflow, introducing WJP, etc.  

Or you'll be stuck with lousy conditions for the next two months :(

Welcome back to the practicing fold!

#11 Lunatiki

Lunatiki

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

Thanks guys. Kev, No wedge, just alt/az.

Joel

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics