•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cygnus wide field with Nikon Z6

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:20 AM

Hello all,

a few days ago I finally tested my Z6 with the Nikkor 50 mm S lens. Here's the image, 20x2 min exposures, ISO 800 and f/5.6. Images were converted to .tif with Nikon Capture NX-D, then stacked and processed in PixInsight. Absoluteny NO noise reduction, and the camera is not modded. Because of this, the red nebulae had more of a magenta tint, so I corrected it in PS to look more natural. Also, I reduced the star sizes with morphological transformation in PI. This is excellent performance for an unmodded camera. And the lens is super sharp even at f/4, but this was tracked on a Star Adventurer mount, so I opted to close down the lens.

Feel free to take a look at the larger resolution on Astrobin. The image was taken from the newly designated international dark sky park Petrova Gora, Croatia. I measured 21.52 with my SQM (non  L).

Attached Thumbnails

• Labud_Z6_mali.jpg

• Starman27, John Rogers, mikewayne3 and 14 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:39 AM

That's a very nice looking image with good color and sharpness. I'm surprised that you didn't get any diffraction spikes when you stopped down to f/5.6. Was that done with the internal lens stop or with an external step-down ring?

#3 whwang

whwang

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:16 AM

Very nice.  Thank you for sharing.

I am still curious why you stopped it down to F5.6, if F4 is totally good.  If you used F4, the noise would be even lower in the final stacked image.

#4 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

That's a very nice looking image with good color and sharpness. I'm surprised that you didn't get any diffraction spikes when you stopped down to f/5.6. Was that done with the internal lens stop or with an external step-down ring?

Regular in-lens stopping down. The lens has circular blades, so there aren't any sharp edges for the spikes to form. They are not that obvious on wide and normal angle lenses anyway.

Very nice.  Thank you for sharing.

I am still curious why you stopped it down to F5.6, if F4 is totally good.  If you used F4, the noise would be even lower in the final stacked image.

Because the lens is even sharper at f/5.6, so why not? With modern DSLRs and mirrorless the noise is so low, I don't worry anymore.

#5 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:39 AM

+1 "This is excellent performance for an unmodded camera"

Indeed!

Also good to know there is a dark sky park in Croatia...

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:10 AM

Regular in-lens stopping down. The lens has circular blades, so there aren't any sharp edges for the spikes to form. They are not that obvious on wide and normal angle lenses anyway.

Still seems unusual, the aperture blades must be particularly smooth and circular.

For example, below is a cropped sample from my 50mm Nikkor prime lens stopped down to f/2.8. This is about three minutes of exposure using an APS-C camera, it's the belt of Orion (detail crop from an image that covered most of Orion).

Attached Thumbnails

• Diffraction Spikes Nikkor 50mm Prime Lens at f2_8.jpg

• marsbase likes this

#7 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

+1 "This is excellent performance for an unmodded camera"

Indeed!

Also good to know there is a dark sky park in Croatia...

Thanks! We worked hard for this...although there are other darker places in Croatia, Petrova gora is important because it's relatively near the capital, Zagreb. Perfect timing, too, as we have also enacted a new light pollution law.

Still seems unusual, the aperture blades must be particularly smooth and circular.

For example, below is a cropped sample from my 50mm Nikkor prime lens stopped down to f/2.8. This is about three minutes of exposure using an APS-C camera, it's the belt of Orion (detail crop from an image that covered most of Orion).

Well, it obviously depends on the lens. I have a 50 mm f/1.8 Nikkor F-mount lens, the latest version, and you can barely see a hint of the spikes.

• Traveler likes this

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southwest Texas, USA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

Love it!

#9 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:51 AM

Really enjoy this area of the night sky, and your picture kept me looking for several minutes.  Thanks for the excellent work!

#10 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the kind words! I see there+s not much info on the Nikon Z6 in astrophotography, I really hope this helps. It's a wonderful camera and the lens is much much sharper that the "old" F-mount.

#11 calypsob

calypsob

Aurora

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

Hello all,

a few days ago I finally tested my Z6 with the Nikkor 50 mm S lens. Here's the image, 20x2 min exposures, ISO 800 and f/5.6. Images were converted to .tif with Nikon Capture NX-D, then stacked and processed in PixInsight. Absoluteny NO noise reduction, and the camera is not modded. Because of this, the red nebulae had more of a magenta tint, so I corrected it in PS to look more natural. Also, I reduced the star sizes with morphological transformation in PI. This is excellent performance for an unmodded camera. And the lens is super sharp even at f/4, but this was tracked on a Star Adventurer mount, so I opted to close down the lens.

Feel free to take a look at the larger resolution on Astrobin. The image was taken from the newly designated international dark sky park Petrova Gora, Croatia. I measured 21.52 with my SQM (non  L).

That is fantastic. It did a fine job of picking up Ha. I think those big pixels probably helped alot. Great work

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics