•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes MN86 question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msalganik

msalganik

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cary, NC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

I recently acquired a set of MN86 optics (still in transit) and I’m starting to plan an OTA build. One question I have for those who have the original scope (or who built a scope around an optics set like me) is what is the proper spacing between the primary and the meniscus? My understanding is that if they’re not spaced properly in a Maksutov system, one will introduce spherical aberration into the image. Thanks for any insights you can share!

#2 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:08 PM

You can get it close by just doing a back of the envelop calculation but a critical one depends on the final curves of the optics.

This question should probably go in the ATM section.

#3 jm510227

jm510227

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

Msalganik:

In the far past I posted on this site a scan of the Intes spacing diagram that came wth my Mn86.

If you cannot find, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I will rescan and e-mail to you.

Good luck on your build.

jm510227

#4 msalganik

msalganik

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cary, NC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

PM sent. This is exactly what I was hoping to get but couldn’t find. Thank you!  

Msalganik:

In the far past I posted on this site a scan of the Intes spacing diagram that came wth my Mn86.

If you cannot find, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I will rescan and e-mail to you.

Good luck on your build.

jm510227

#5 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

I recently acquired a set of MN86 optics (still in transit) and I’m starting to plan an OTA build. One question I have for those who have the original scope (or who built a scope around an optics set like me) is what is the proper spacing between the primary and the meniscus? My understanding is that if they’re not spaced properly in a Maksutov system, one will introduce spherical aberration into the image. Thanks for any insights you can share!

If you could measure curvatures with a spherometer and knew the corrector glass, it wouldn't be too hard to use OSLO to calculate the optimal spacing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics