•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Intes MN86 question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msalganik

msalganik

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cary, NC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

I recently acquired a set of MN86 optics (still in transit) and I’m starting to plan an OTA build. One question I have for those who have the original scope (or who built a scope around an optics set like me) is what is the proper spacing between the primary and the meniscus? My understanding is that if they’re not spaced properly in a Maksutov system, one will introduce spherical aberration into the image. Thanks for any insights you can share!

#2 JohnH

JohnH

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: Squamish BC Moved!!!!!

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:08 PM

You can get it close by just doing a back of the envelop calculation but a critical one depends on the final curves of the optics.

This question should probably go in the ATM section.

#3 jm510227

jm510227

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

Msalganik:

In the far past I posted on this site a scan of the Intes spacing diagram that came wth my Mn86.

If you cannot find, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I will rescan and e-mail to you.

Good luck on your build.

jm510227

#4 msalganik

msalganik

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cary, NC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

PM sent. This is exactly what I was hoping to get but couldn’t find. Thank you!  

Msalganik:

In the far past I posted on this site a scan of the Intes spacing diagram that came wth my Mn86.

If you cannot find, send me a PM with your e-mail address. I will rescan and e-mail to you.

Good luck on your build.

jm510227

#5 TG

TG

Vanguard

• Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

I recently acquired a set of MN86 optics (still in transit) and I’m starting to plan an OTA build. One question I have for those who have the original scope (or who built a scope around an optics set like me) is what is the proper spacing between the primary and the meniscus? My understanding is that if they’re not spaced properly in a Maksutov system, one will introduce spherical aberration into the image. Thanks for any insights you can share!

If you could measure curvatures with a spherometer and knew the corrector glass, it wouldn't be too hard to use OSLO to calculate the optimal spacing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics