•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

In Praise Of The Meade ETX-60

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

Each to his own.

I find nothing toyish about the current ETX scopes or the previous generation.  And the earlier models were breakthroughs of capability at a price point, in my opinion.   

I have an ETX 60.  So easy to use and it works just fine.   

An ETX 80 AT was my first scope when I got into astronomy 5 years ago.   I remember reading all the bad comments about how hard GoTo scopes are to align and use.   Then I purchased the ETX 80 AT.   Man this thing could not have been easier to use.  To this day I can't figure out what all the slander is about GoTo scopes, at least the Meade scopes that I have used.  They are great!  

Now, I did encounter a problem with that first ETX 80 AT scope.  Called Meade and they took care of it even thought I was out of warranty. Shipped me a new scope, and of the current model.   I still have that scope, 3 years later and use it often.   

The 60, 70 and 80 are short tube refractors with all the CA and related characteristics of an entry level ST refractor.  But they work!  

The 90, 105 and 125 are Maks with a reputation of being crisp and sharp.  My ETX 125 came to me used and the optics are great!

Fully robotic mounts that will find anything in the sky and then track it.

These are not observatory class scopes, they are entry level consumer grade products and that is the market to which they were and are sold.   As an ETX owner,  I recommend these to new people looking for this combination of size, value and automation without hesitation.

• belgrade and LDW47 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics