•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EdgeHD & Insulation - how do you deal with the vents?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

Hi all - 100% visual observer with a new-to-me EdgeHD 8 here.

Those of you who have an EdgeHD scope that you've wrapped with insulation, how have you handled the presence of the vents? Have you blocked them somehow? Left them alone? Installed fans?

I'm wondering the extent to which I should insulate my EdgeHD 8 OTA. On most nights I'll have plenty of opportunity to acclimate my scope on a shady porch prior to taking a 15 minute drive to my dark sky site, although in the winter the temperature continues to drop all night. I'm hoping that I can get away with just wrapping the aluminum portion of the OTA and acclimating the scope as well as I can prior to observing, leaving the vents open - hopefully the moderate insulation will be enough to quell any particularly destructive thermals as a result of dropping temps in the winter.

Thoughts?

#2 gezak22

gezak22

Gemini

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

I covered them up.

#3 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

I've not insulated my EdgeHD, but I have made insulation for my C14 XLT.  The C14 does not have vents, but I do mount a Telrad on it.  I cut out a rectangular hole that lines up with the Telrad base.  If you wanted to, it would be pretty easy to cut out holes for the EdgeHD vents.

That said, there has been discussion on the use of vents with insulation.  If you are trying to slow down temperature change as much as possible, then you may just want to cover up the vents.  If you want to acclimate the scope and prevent radiative cooling from the aluminum tube, then you would probably want to use cutouts, and possibly even Tempest fans, along with the insulation.

Edited by WadeH237, 15 July 2019 - 02:22 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics