•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Identifying a Celestron 8

reflector Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelMedford

MichaelMedford

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Berkeley, CA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

Hello,

First time poster, hopefully coming on board for the long term. My graduate advisor recently gave me an older telescope that belonged to his father, albeit with several missing pieces including the focuser to attach an eyepiece to the optical tube. I am interested in possibly getting the replacement parts but he wasn't even sure which model the telescope is. I did some digging and believe that it is a Celestron 8, but I cannot identify which model it is, what year it is from, or how to get my hands on a manual or parts list for it.

I have attached some photos of the telescope. Does anyone here know which Celestron 8 this is? Or what the right way is to put this instrument back together? Here are a few of the components that look to be missing:

• Focuser
  • Guide scope
  • Hand controller
  • Power cable
  • Mounting screws (it came to me with a tripod)
  • Possibly more

Thanks for any help you can provide!

All the best,

~Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• telescope.001.jpeg

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

Michael:

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.

I think your questions would be better answered in the Cats and Casses forum, I have asked the moderators to move this thread there.

A few comments:

- These scopes focus by moving the primary mirror.  There a knob on the back to focus, You may need a visual back and diagonal. These are standard on all C-8 s.

- Download Uncle Rods Used SCTs Buyers Guide.  Rod Mollise is the man..

https://skywatch.bra.../used/index.htm

Jon

-

• photomagica likes this

#3 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:20 PM

C8 Powerstar

#4 photomagica

photomagica

Mariner 2

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

Welcome to the forum! You are most fortunate to have a C-8. Provided the electronics work, with some added accessories, clean-up, adjustment and collimation this 'scope should give you really satisfying views. 

For accessories you will also want a C-8 star diagonal and eyepieces.  There are 2" diagonals that screw right on to the back of the telescope, eliminating the need for a visual back and allowing you to use either 1.25 or 2" eyepieces. I have one of these 2" SCT diagonals and really like it. These can all be had from many on-line suppliers, including Astronomics - the sponsor of Cloudy Nights. I buy almost all of my accessories used on Cloudy Nights and have been really satisfied with my purchases here. You may find your missing part by posting "Wanted" ads here on Cloudy Nights. It is amazing what these seem to turn up.

Bill

• Orion68 likes this

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

Need pics of the front and back. That will give us a lot of information, especially what you need for attaching an eyepiece.

It's not missing a guidescope, it's missing a finder scope.

• telesonic likes this

#6 bob midiri

bob midiri

Skylab

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

Do you have the handbox for this

Edited by bob midiri, 15 July 2019 - 05:58 PM.

#7 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:20 PM

Kind of looks like it has digital setting circles.

• Don W and telesonic like this

#8 telesonic

telesonic

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

Hi Michael,

Your Celestron C8 is (I believe) the Celestar Deluxe model, from around mid to late 1990's. I don't have a link for the manual handy, but if you google search the term "Celestron Celestar manual" one of the first hits should be a PDF copy you can download. It will have all if the info on your scope, both the basic model and the deluxe.

These Celestar scopes  - from all that I've read about them here, seem to be very good optically... I own one myself and it is a great scope. 

For the missing parts, and some more info.

Note: Your scope seems to be missing the RA axis slow motion knob also (you will want one of these) but aside from a few parts, and probably a little cost - you should be set to observe with it.

The handbox isn't needed for tracking or positioning on this scope, only for small corrections. (as it is a very slow speed)

Also - the poster above mentions Digital Setting Circles.... and it looks like your drive base has the encoder for the RA axis. (the DEC one is under a plastic cap on the top of the fork) These are handy to have, but more on those at another time.

Another google search - Celestron Advanced Astro Master Installation Manual - will show you the components. (you might be missing the Control Box and the cable, but these can be found used)

For parts, I'd recommend placing a want-ad here in the classifieds, or for another option: Contact Don Rothman of Astro Parts Outlet, he's also very helpful for stuff like this.

Oh, and yes.... echoing Don W in post #5 some more pics of what you have would help greatly.

Regards,

T

• ADIEL and Orion68 like this

#9 telesonic

telesonic

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:10 PM

Some further info:

Here is the link for the C8 Celestar Manual PDF:

http://www.company7....n/celestar8.pdf

Here is a site with some info on the DSC's (Digital Setting Circles) - installation, use.

http://www.ngc1514.c...lestron/aam.htm

I believe your scope can also be powered by 2x 9V batteries under the cover plate.

Maybe you can remove the 4 screws that hold the plate with the controls and see what's under there?

T

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics