•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reducer/field flattener for comet hunter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wplash

Wplash

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:25 AM

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to increase my fov with my ES david h levy comet hunter. As this is a mak newt, i was wondering if it's even possible to use a reducer? If i did i would assume it should require a flattener to fix the added curvature that the reducer would be adding? Since the corrector already fixes coma, i assume this would be difficult... perhaps not even possible?

Thanks in advance
Jason

Edited by Wplash, 16 July 2019 - 12:26 AM.

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:10 AM

I know Takahashi made reducers for their MT series of newts so it can be done..

You could try something like this:

https://www.teleskop...ter-thread.html

Not sure how well it would work tho..

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

What eyepieces are you currently using?

Jon

#4 Wplash

Wplash

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:41 AM

Its for AP. I have an ASI 178 mm cool that i truly enjoy using. However it's a smaller chip size. A reducer would help increase my range of targets.

#5 Vla

Vla

Messenger

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Its for AP. I have an ASI 178 mm cool that i truly enjoy using. However it's a smaller chip size. A reducer would help increase my range of targets.

Here's what it would look like. I don't know the mechanical measures, but this should be close. I threw in a 0.75x reducer lens, which is not optimized, but looks promising for a simple 2-lens reducer/flattener). Both are flat field (btw. the MN is not free of coma, it is only reduced; in this case the system has about half the coma of the primary). The problem seems to be obvious, and that is how to make the image w/reducer accessible.

Attached Thumbnails

• DL.png

#6 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

IMO a bigger chip is a better investment. The ASA reducers are for traditional newts and I never heard anyone using one with an MN, I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but I suspect it may not.

The CH has a pretty decent size corrected field, and any reducer/corrector you might buy that had decent performance would be a fair bit of the cost of a bigger chip camera anyway so I think you should consider that instead.

#7 Wplash

Wplash

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 19 July 2019 - 12:11 AM

Yea, i thought getting an asi 1600 would be the best option. But that price tag though...ugh. Thanks for the responses guys!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics