•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

More C8 RASA images

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:44 AM

Got a better night, imaged M13 again, reduced subexposure to increase dynamic range, increased number of subs.  I could now stretch more, got more of M13.  CN jpg below, you can switch between the 2 versions on astrobin here.

https://www.astrobin...3196/B/?nc=user

Also did the Pelican (I like the "Bunny" orientation).  Fullsize and acquisition details here. 

https://www.astrobin...414868/?nc=user

Yes, I used the Celestron broadband light pollution filter.  Nobody tell Jerry Lodriguss, OK?  <grin>  The RASA pulls down enough light to handle the loss of signal, but I'm not sure I like the color.  The Pelican is in position for some time, I'll try it without the filter.  The Pelican is the right target for the filter, anyway.

I'm also using the Celestron electric motor for focus, like it.  Now I need to get autofocus working.

M13 2nd V3.jpg

Pelican V3.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 16 July 2019 - 12:54 AM.

• zjc26138, elmiko, nicknacknock and 8 others like this

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:59 AM

Nice images bobzeq25.  Good processing.  Thanks for posting.

If you had to do it again would you purchase the 8" RASA?

EDIT - Some of the stars in the second image look elongated.  Were you tracking?

Edited by Jim Waters, 16 July 2019 - 01:19 AM.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

Nice images bobzeq25.  Good processing.  Thanks for posting.

If you had to do it again would you purchase the 8" RASA?

EDIT - Some of the stars in the second image look elongated.  Were you tracking?

I was autoguiding and the exposures were 20 seconds.   PI says eccentricities were between .5 and .6, not bad.

I do see what you're talking about.  I think it's due to the signal/power cables, I've made no attempt to route them.  I have a friend who will make me a 3d printed cable guide that holds the cables in a flat arc, that should improve things.

Someone needs to make a wireless camera.  <smile>

I'm very happy with the scope.  Gives me images in less than one hour that took me maybe 2-4 hours before.  It will be interesting to see what 4 hours can do, but that will be hundreds of subs.  At 20 seconds, it's 180 subs per hour.  Without the filter I may have to shoot 10 second subs to get good dynamic range, in my light polluted skies.

Still working it all out.

Edited by bobzeq25, 16 July 2019 - 11:38 AM.

• elmiko likes this

#4 caseyfinn

caseyfinn

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: El Paso Texas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:47 PM

"It will be interesting to see what 4 hours can do"

I've been playing around with a very similar setup and here is three hours of M8:

M8 Print 2

The triad filter I tried is too narrow and just gave off teal but the DMG NBP filter gave a good color with my Asi183 mc. Next is to try the mono version and those Baader F2 filters to see how they work.  Here is larger version with more details.

https://telescopius....a/by-casey_finn

Here is two and a half:

Veil.jpg

https://telescopius....t/by-casey_finn

Zoom in on the bright star on top (52 Cygni), you can see the two cables coming off the camera. Funny. Perfectly concentric rings also. 

Bob: Why can't you get the focuser to work?

Cheers

Edited by caseyfinn, 16 July 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:53 PM

The focuser works fine.  Me - not so much.  <grin>  I've been procrastinating about getting autofocusing software up and running for a long time.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics