•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which delites to use with a TEC turret

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:34 AM

I’ve got a new TEC turret arriving tomorrow which I intend to use for lunar and planetary observing with my refractors. My refractors range from an f5.9 95mm through to an f7 160mm. I also have an f7.4  100mm and an f6.3 130mm. 

I already have the 3, 4 and 18.2mm delite but am thinking of further delite purchases for the turret. I’d be interested in any views on the next 2 or 3 I should get and why?

#2 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

I can only comment on the 5mm, which I have found to be very sharp in my experience with it. Good contrast, pretty comfortable for the eye, moreso than the Delos that I've had and tried. While you already have the 3 and 4mm, because magnification can change so much with these short eyepiece FLs, I think having 3,4,5 would not be redundant. 5 would also give you a more favorable exit pupil if you want planets or the moon to really pop, or if seeing isn't great so you need less mag anyway. Beyond that, I can't tell you if it's right for your scopes, and you may want to jump right past it sometimes, but I can at least say that it's been an excellent eyepiece for me.

I saw my first shadow transit on Jupiter recently with it, going back and forth between my binoviewers (1.7x+9TakAbbe) and the 5DeLite. Magnification was very similar, but crazy enough, the DeLite with slightly more magnification (and a slightly smaller exit pupil) showed a crisper shadow and very slightly sharper definition of the cloud bands. I also thought the Galilean moons looked tighter, rounder as well. I tried to allow for a variety of seeing, but even when it seemed stable, the DeLite did manage to deliver a pretty clearly superior image. What surprised me was that I felt the image had higher contrast with the smaller exit pupil and higher mag in the DeLite. This could be due to the prisms in the binoviewer unit and possibly the eyepieces themselves (which I am going to test individually with a 2X Powermate the next chance I get).

So, in short, the 5mm DeLite is a treat. If it looks like you won't just skip over it, I can highly recommend it.

Edited by jay.i, 16 July 2019 - 11:10 AM.

• Gavster likes this

#3 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

You can use any DeLite with the turret.  They are light and will work fine without overloading one side or the other.  Just figure the magnification range you like to use and match it to a DeLite.

I have the 4, 5, and 7 DeLites and they work great for me.  I also use a Zeiss Abbe Barlow with the 7 and that gives me a 3.5mm DeLite - you don't even notice the Barlow.  I am tempted to pick up the 9mm DeLite to use with the Barlow next.

I used my old TEC turret with a set of T6 Naglers.  But after my cataract surgery, I had to ditch the Naglers for eyepieces with more eye relief - hence the DeLites. 

One thing to watch for -- my turret did not match up well with the TV undercuts.  The solution is to place an O-ring on the eyepiece barrel.  This raises the eyepiece just enough for the compression band to grab it properly.  cool.gif

Cheers,

Ron

Tec-Turret_041215.jpg

• peleuba, Gavster, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#4 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:14 PM

Good to hear the 5mm is nice. I think my 3mm is pushing it in respect of small exit pupil. 0.5 on my fastest refractor is over my limit imo. Not exactly sure why I’ve got it - maybe for double stars...
I think I’d like to have the 7mm to have an exit pupil of 1 with my f7 160mm. So I’m thinking that a 4, 5, 7, 18.2 would work well with most of my scopes.
Also good to see the delites work well with the turret although I will watch out for the undercut issue.
  • RAKing likes this

#5 25585

Aurora

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:10 AM

I would choose 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 initially, as the 3-6 zoom has too little eye relief for me.

With a Tak turret 3 through 7. 

#6 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

This is what I’ve gone for...

Attached Thumbnails

• EA808C99-80A1-4B37-9CD2-2693F1853E8C.jpeg

• Paul Morow and 25585 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics