•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Crater Aristarchus Using WinJUPOS Lambert Projection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

I took a fairly old image (from November 2016) and did another projection using WinJUPOS to produce a somewhat "new" look on the crater Aristarchus and its surrounding plateau and the Vallis Schröteri (rille). The original image was taken with a 9.25" EdgeHD and an ASI178MM camera, but for this quick treatment I used a resized and JPEG compressed upload that I posted to CN back in 2016 (here). So, the quality isn't as good as I'd like and I need to go back and find the original data since it is archived (somewhere) on a disk that is currently offline.

Since this is just a "draft" I left the curved edges on the image that are produced when WinJUPOS does its projection to remove the foreshortening that is usually present when imaging features that are close to the edges of the moon.

There are several other "old" images that I want to reprocess using WinJUPOS, but I'm going to have to dig through my archives to find the original data. This is the third lunar image that I've processed with WinJUPOS, the other posts are here and here.

Attached Thumbnails

• Aristarchus WinJUPOS Projection.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 16 July 2019 - 11:08 AM.

• John Miele, eros312, aeroman4907 and 3 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:51 AM

Here is the full-frame WinJUPOS Lambert equal-area cylindrical projection that shows the distortion correction that it applies to the full-globe image of the moon that I produced using both my image of Aristarchus (darker section on the upper left) and the background "Moon Phase and Libration, 2016" simulation produced by NASA's Scientific Visualization Studio. The original projection was 16,000 pixels wide (reduced here to conform to the CN posting guidelines).

Attached Thumbnails

• WinJUPOS Projection.jpg

Edited by james7ca, 16 July 2019 - 11:03 AM.

• John Miele, aeroman4907 and rkinnett like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics