•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R weight planning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GunArm

GunArm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

I'm a beginner but since this technically involves astrophotography I've posted here.

I’m looking to run an ES FCD100 127mm on an EQ6-R (44lb capacity).  The carbon fiber OTA is 14lbs and the aluminum is 18lbs.  The difference in price is $420.  I’m not sure what kind of auto guider setup I will need yet, or what kind of optical attachments I’ll end up needing for an imaging chain (recommendations welcome), but most importantly I'm not sure what this additional gear will weigh.

Can someone estimate how much additional weight I should expect to load on?  And given that, is the 4lb difference between CF and aluminum FCD100 127mm worth the $105 per lb to keep the weight down on the EQ6-R? 

Just guessing but lets say the rest of the components weigh 10lbs.  On a 44lb mount, would you think it worth an extra $420 to take the weight down from 28 to 24lbs?

#2 f300v10

f300v10

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:13 AM

I use one of two scopes that with guide/imaging cameras weight over 32lbs (MN190 or C11 depending on the target) with my EQ6-R with very good results.  So personally I would use the $420 elsewhere.  I also think you are likely over estimating what the guiding/imaging gear will weigh.

#3 jerahian

jerahian

Messenger

• Loc: Maine

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

I use the ES ED127 FCD100 on my EQ6-R Pro.  I have an Orion ST-80 on top as my guide scope and a Moonlite Focuser, Reducer, EFW, and my ASI1600MM-C with some spacers as my imaging train.  I use an extra counterweight beyond the 2 the EQ6-R comes with to keep the moment arm as short as possible (I do not use the counterweight extension bar).

With all that, the mount performs flawlessly.  When imaging targets in the NE>NW, I get total RMS values from PHD2 of around 0.65" to 0.75".  When imaging targets SE>SW, I get a total RMS of around 0.85" to 1.2", depending on how well I've achieved a slight East-heavy balance.

All in all, I'm happy at how well the mount is performing.

GL&CS,

-Ara

#4 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ID

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

Lately, I started running a dual capture setup, pigggy-backing my C80ED on my APM140.  The total weight is probably 35lbs, with 37lbs of counterweights.  Guiding is usually in the 0.6" range, largely dependent on seeing.  I've also run a 10" Meade SCT (35ish pounds) with similar guiding performance.  

The EQ6-R seems to handle heavy loads well, definitely beyond the "1/2 rating" rule.

• f300v10 likes this

#5 GunArm

GunArm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

Great comments!  That gives me some confidence in my plans, so very helpful indeed.

So personally I would use the $420 elsewhere.  I also think you are likely over estimating what the guiding/imaging gear will weigh.

That's exactly what I was wondering it seemed like there was a good chance that money could be better used for the pile of other things needed.

I use the ES ED127 FCD100 on my EQ6-R Pro.  I have an Orion ST-80 on top as my guide scope and a Moonlite Focuser, Reducer, EFW, and my ASI1600MM-C with some spacers as my imaging train.  I use an extra counterweight beyond the 2 the EQ6-R comes with to keep the moment arm as short as possible (I do not use the counterweight extension bar).

Interesting point about the moment arm.  I guess you want to minimize moment arm for the sake of the mount motors?  I haven't gotten to a point of thinking at that level yet but clearly that would be important.

Lately, I started running a dual capture setup, pigggy-backing my C80ED on my APM140.  The total weight is probably 35lbs, with 37lbs of counterweights.  Guiding is usually in the 0.6" range, largely dependent on seeing.  I've also run a 10" Meade SCT (35ish pounds) with similar guiding performance.  

The EQ6-R seems to handle heavy loads well, definitely beyond the "1/2 rating" rule.

Good to know about the EQ6-R.  What do you mean when you say "Guiding is usually in the 0.6" range"? 

Since two of you mentioned it, am I correct that typically you do not include the counterweights in your load, but that you *would* include them if they are in addition to the stock ones?

#6 evan9162

evan9162

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ID

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

Good to know about the EQ6-R.  What do you mean when you say "Guiding is usually in the 0.6" range"? 

It's a measure of guiding performance - it means that while guiding, the mount tracks within 0.6 arc-seconds of "perfect" tracking - this is the combined RMS measure of both axis as reported by the guiding software.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics