•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

cheapest goto mount for c8 edge

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

just wondered what the cheapest mount for a c8 would be that would cope with the c8 edge thanks

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

One would be the sky watcher EQ6-R Pro.

• iwols likes this

#3 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

For viewing, I would say the Celestron AVX would be the least expensive.  For imaging, I would agree with scadvice the SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro would be the least expensive.

-Ara

• EFT and iwols like this

#4 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

i already have the heq5 as a permanent set up with a tq 100 for imaging but req one for the c8 which i would occasionally use with my not used c8  for planetary,would the c8 be ok on my heq5 and maybe change my permanent set up to the eq6-r pro,just a thought

• EFT, Jeff Struve and Wildetelescope like this

#5 Jerome Ni

Jerome Ni

Explorer 1

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:45 AM

Depends on the focal length you want to run.

At 2000mm, with your 414ex, you're going to require at the very least sub 0.5-arc-sec guiding, which is very, very demanding.

Edited by Jerome Ni, 16 July 2019 - 11:45 AM.

• iwols likes this

#6 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Viking 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

I had my c8 on my AVX. It was sketchy at best and needed more than the one counterweight.
  • iwols likes this

#7 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:45 PM

It will work on your HEQ5 just fine. But it would be better to upgrade to either a AZ-EQ6 so you can use both scopes at the same time in alt/az mode for visual and either for AP in EQ mode. Or you can go with the EQ6-R for AP permanently mounted and trade in your HEQ5 for credit on a AZ-EQ5. Again for alt/az in visual mode and EQ in AP mode. Visual is so much better in alt/az. Means the EP/scope isn't put in awkward positions. 

• iwols likes this

#8 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

i already have the heq5 as a permanent set up with a tq 100 for imaging but req one for the c8 which i would occasionally use with my not used c8  for planetary,would the c8 be ok on my heq5 and maybe change my permanent set up to the eq6-r pro,just a thought

Yep, Your HEQ5 would blow away the AVX... although the AVX would probably work for a visual only grab n go, I recomend it... you're right on with using the EQ6r for pier mounting and the heq5 for mobile... 

• iwols likes this

#9 MikeMiller

MikeMiller

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

"the cheapest" can't be your only requirement for a mount. It leads to wild speculation.

First, lay down what you intend to do with it. Astrophotography/Visual/Both? Goto or manual?

• Jeff Struve, iwols and OldManSky like this

#10 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

"the cheapest" can't be your only requirement for a mount. It leads to wild speculation.

First, lay down what you intend to do with it. Astrophotography/Visual/Both? Goto or manual?

thats more than a fair comment,right my dilema is ,i have a ror with the heq5  mounted with a tq 100 and all set up for astrophotography which i dont want to disturb but the problem i have is at the moment both jupiter and saturn are low down and the area the pier mount is, is too close to a bungalow so i thought about using my c8 to start with for visual where i can use it on my patio which will just be able to view both planets,now im starting to think i will want to take some images,so visual and astro will now doubt be used,the heq5 is serving me well ,confused iwols?

#11 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

It will work on your HEQ5 just fine. But it would be better to upgrade to either a AZ-EQ6 so you can use both scopes at the same time in alt/az mode for visual and either for AP in EQ mode. Or you can go with the EQ6-R for AP permanently mounted and trade in your HEQ5 for credit on a AZ-EQ5. Again for alt/az in visual mode and EQ in AP mode. Visual is so much better in alt/az. Means the EP/scope isn't put in awkward positions. 

thanks so are we a saying that the az-eq5 would be better than the heq 5 for the c8 cheers its just that the az-eq5 is the cheaper one

Edited by iwols, 16 July 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#12 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:28 PM

For viewing, I would say the Celestron AVX would be the least expensive.  For imaging, I would agree with scadvice the SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro would be the least expensive.

-Ara

would the celestron avx be anygood for astro?

#13 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:39 PM

Yes, that's what it's designed for. Astro. Or did you mean something else?

• iwols and PatrickVt like this

#14 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

Yes, that's what it's designed for. Astro. Or did you mean something else?

both astro and visual

#15 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

I don't think we're on the same page here. When you say astro, are you referring to astrophotography? If so, it's a very vague way of saying it. Astro can mean a lot of things.

• iwols and PatrickVt like this

#16 jerahian

jerahian

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

would the celestron avx be anygood for astro?

It certainly can be used for imaging, but I wouldn't qualify it as being good; you'll be banging your head on a wall in no time.  For a few hundred dollars more, I would strongly recommend the SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro.  I know "a few hundred dollars" is not an insignificant amount, but it's all relative in this hobby...

-Ara

• Jeff Struve, iwols and PatrickVt like this

#17 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 11:43 PM

I had my c8 on my AVX. It was sketchy at best and needed more than the one counterweight.

If you're loading it up with astrophotography gear you should really state that explicitly -- because for visual work, the AVX works great with a C8, and most certainly does not need more than one counterweight.

• iwols likes this

#18 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:22 AM

right guys thanks for the great replies/suggestions ,to cap it all,this is the realityconfused1.gif .

so if i bought a better mount i would probably want to use that for my fixed set up which would leave me with the heq5 pro,would this be good enough for the c8 edge for occasional viewing /imaging thoughts appreciated

#19 gotak

gotak

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

Heq5 is a great mount. You'll be fine.

Just make sure you use the reducer. Don't try to go below 1" image scale and a lot of imaging ills will be avoided.
  • iwols likes this

#20 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

Heq5 is a great mount. You'll be fine.

Just make sure you use the reducer. Don't try to go below 1" image scale and a lot of imaging ills will be avoided.

hi thanks    what reducer??

#21 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:10 AM

Depends on the focal length you want to run.

At 2000mm, with your 414ex, you're going to require at the very least sub 0.5-arc-sec guiding, which is very, very demanding.

Not for planetary.  

Jmd 

• iwols likes this

#22 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:20 AM

Not for planetary.  

Jmd 

hi whats not for planetary,the setup or the guiding, cheers

Edited by iwols, 18 July 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#23 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Mariner 2

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

For planetary imaging you use a technique called lucky imaging, in which you use video and high frame rate (low exposure) to image.

So, if you requirement for a mount is limited to planetary imaging with the C8, then be able to guide is not a requirement.

But if you want to do any long exposure astrophotography you will need good guiding (at least as good as limited by the current seeing).

P.S. JMD, I hope you don't mind me answering the question on your behalf. smile.gif

Regards,

John

• Wildetelescope and iwols like this

#24 iwols

iwols

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:31 PM

Not for planetary.  

Jmd 

so would the setup with heq5 be ok for guiding with the c8?

Edited by iwols, 18 July 2019 - 01:02 PM.

#25 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

The need for 0.5 arcsecond guiding.  Sorry for the really unclear post!!! That was pretty horrible. The conversation made perfect sense in my head.  Just did not make it to the page! blush.gif

JMD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics