•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Just bought a LS100THA cloudy skies are coming

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:22 PM

I was able to buy a “gently used” LS100THA from Lunt, case, rings, finder, B1800 blocking filter, and free shipping.

Seems like a good way to buy and save some money for other toys when available. 

Its completely cleaned and gone through and tested, same 5 yr Warrantee, kind of a no brainer.

Have a losmandy style universal plate on order , so I’m guessing next week I should have everything to try.

Im excited to see how it compares to the Quark in my WO 132mm Scope.

I’m thinking brighter, full disk with more surface detail and fantastic proms.

Sounds like I’ll need to make an aperture mask for less than good seeing days and I’ll be ready.

Somewhere down the road a DS to drop in when needed.

Solar Minimum needs to go.

Thanks to everyone’s advise and thoughts , it helped make the decision and Lunt just happened to have the scope I wanted on there gently used shelf.

More to come

Dan

• moshen, torsinadoc, RickV and 1 other like this

#2 RickV

RickV

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

Im excited to see how it compares to the Quark in my WO 132mm Scope.

I’m thinking brighter, full disk with more surface detail and fantastic proms.

Dan

Dan, thanks for sharing the excitement!! waytogo.gif

I too will be interested in how it will compare to the Quark on your WO 132mm scope! smile.gif

I'm guessing... brighter for certain but more surface detail?  Proms should be about the same - only brighter.

Best,

Rick

#3 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

Excellent news!  Glad you swung for the 100.  Today there are a couple of very faint wispy proms, yesterday almost nothing.  We're due for some activity. David 

#4 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:25 PM

Congrats on the new scope!

If you still have the Quark it might be interesting to try double stacking with it. Couldn't hurt to try.

#5 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:31 PM

lots of times when I get a new astronomy toy clouds roll in for days 

its all a prank by the weather gods

they say nannannanna

#6 bigdob24

bigdob24

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

The Quark has been sold, would have been interesting to try.

Maybe the cloud gods will be satisfied by the time the scope arrives late next week , I hope.

Dan

#7 RickV

RickV

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:38 AM

The Quark has been sold, would have been interesting to try.

So much for the planned comparison!  frown.gif

lol.gif Rick

• gustavo_sanchez likes this

#8 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:17 AM

There's some good news on my sale bought Coronado 90 III DS! I called Meade again and this time talked to someone who was knew something  about the scope. He said while it will get easier it's a hard scope to tune but once done it would be good for proms when DSs. I was also told tuning the etalons one at a time then DSing wouldn't work and to do it by the book front one first.  I'll wager if I had gone with a Lunt 100 DS I'd have it dialed in by now.   The good thing about buying with a discount is if the scope doesn't work out which I seriously doubt will be the case for yours it can be sold without a big loss. I'm looking at you Coronado 90 III DS! David

Edited by dscarpa, 17 July 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#9 bigdob24

bigdob24

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

Dscarpa, I guess with that new info there is still hope that things will work out.

When I asked about DSing the 100 Lunt I was told It can be a bit tricky for someone with no experience with the scope.

Recommended getting acquainted with the scope as a SS and then move to DS.

As soon as the sun gets out of this solar minimum and starts to show its wonders again I’ll get the DS and enjoy. 

Dan

#10 dscarpa

dscarpa

Soyuz

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

The Coronado 90 III is super easy to tune and holds it very well  using  a single etalon  and I can barely reach the tuner while looking through the eyepiece.  I've spent well over 8 hrs trying to tune it in DS mode. Not being able to reach that etalons 2 tuners makes it a lot harder as does there being two tuners.   I hope this is something I'm better at than the too many variables for me  newt collimation. Advantages  of the larger Lunts is it's easier and much safer to take off the DS etalon during a session and you can reach all the tuners. David

Edited by dscarpa, 17 July 2019 - 03:26 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics