•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR102 cell removal for flocking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

So, I have 2 questions for ES AR102 owners. Well the first is for AR102 owners. The second is for those with experience handling and installing flocking material in a 4 inch refractor OTA and drawtube.

I have had my ES AR102 for a few years now. I would like to flock the OTA and focuser tube to tease a bit more contrast out of it. For the 3 years I have had it I have never had a need to take a single tool to the OTA at all. I did make an aluminum bracket for my Telrad to attach onto the OTA's cradle assembly because a Telrad is too long to fit on the scope anywhere. Plus I wanted to have a Telrad and RACI finder on the scope simultaneously, but never touched the OTA with a tool.

Anyway, I would like to flock the tube and my focuser drawtube at some point soon when I can find the extra few dollars to get some of the flocking material from either Edmonds or ProtoStar.  Ideally I don't want to use any flocking that has adhesive on it. I have read that sometimes you can just roll the paper and install it without any adhesive and it will hold its shape with no problems. That's ideal but I understand if I my need to use adhesive backed paper, or spray glue.

Has anyone that owns an Explore Scientific AR102 (achro not an apo, I don't know if there is a difference in the lens cell design but I would think that there is) flocked their OTA and drawtube tube? If so, how do you go about taking out the lens cell as one assemble without messing with or messing up collimation? Is that even possible to do, or will it need re-collimaton?  I've had the dew shield off and I see 3 small hex head grub screws I think there may be 1 more under the plastic dew shield mount. I wont touch anything until I know for sure what everything (each screw, nut, bolt...etc) does. I know the cell is a "push pull cell" and I understand the basics of how it works to collimate the scope. I never had a cell like this out of a scope. I can't find any info online about the Explore Scientific AR lens cell removal/installation procedure to read or watch so any experienced folks advice is appreciated. If you know of or have any schematics or exploded views of the cell of a AR102 that would be great.Any info on how to remove and reinstall the cell is great.

I'm not going to do this immediately. First I need some extra funds to get some flocking paper. Before flocking I want to have a solid understanding of how the lens cell is to be taken out and put back in, each and every piece of it. The order of parts removal, what each part does. I know that these cells are relatively simple, it's just that this is my only working scope and I don't want to mess with it until I feel confident enough that I can get myself out of a worst case scenario.

I know I made this post longer than it need to be. I want to get the most out of my scope as I can. Besides it won't hurt to know how the cell works. Please lets not debate to flock or not to flock. Or what flocking is better that the other. I'm simply looking for some guidance from those with hands on experience so I can get the maximum out of my scope until I can someday afford to get a better scope and mount. 

Thanks In advance.

#2 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

the hex screws on the sides are the centering screws they keep the optical centers of the lenses centered, you dont have to mess with those unless taking the lenses out completely.

the front of the scope has the mounting screws, those are the ones that are flush with the cell, the ones that protrude out farther and do not thread into the counter cell are the ones used to raise/lower the tilt of the lenses for collimation.

if you put some tape across the taller collimation screws you may not have to recollimate when threading the lens cell back on, the screws with the tape on them will have a set height and the mounting screws will stop when threaded to the point at which the collimation screws are protruding.

I would put a mark of some type (piece of tape or magic marker dot) on the bottom tab of the collimation/ mounting screw set, that way the cell goes back on with the screws that are on the bottom of the cell go back the same way it came off.

• Allanbarth1 likes this

#3 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

Thank you,

I need to take a look at the cell again with the dew shield off. This way I can get a look at the screws again and make sure I know which ones to put the dots onto. It sound simple enough to remove it though. The flush screws are the ones that hold the lens cell in. 

Do the screws that hold the cell in need to be removed completely?  And once the screws that hold the cell to the scope are loosened/removed, will the cell then come out by simply giving it a gentle pull out of the scope or will the cell need to be unscrewed. 

Thanks again

Does anyone with experience flocking a refractor OTA and drawtube using flocking paper have any tips or tricks to get the job done as neat and clean as possible?

#4 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

I remove the mounting screws one at a time completely so they dont fall onto the lens because they can fall if left barely threaded in. I start with the bottom one and save the top one for last, keep a good hold on the lens cell since once the last mounting screw is removed it will be able to fall. It will come off / out and you will feel and see how loose it gets when you start removing then screws.

you only need one dot, I place mine on the lens cell in between the bottom collimation screw and that designates that set of screws on the lens cell goes on the bottom set of holes on the counter cell.

• Allanbarth1 likes this

#5 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:10 AM

That makes sense now. Thanks much.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics