•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to safely remove paint - from Unitron paint, etal....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

I recently picked up an early Unitron model 150 - likely built in the late 50's (block lettering) - and I have two questions regarding it.   I would include photos but I'm unable to do so 

at this time.....

A.  The 10x42 viewfinder has what appears to be flat latex "china-white" wall paint spattered

onto sections of its (now after 60+ years, Ivory colored) tube.   How might that wall paint

be safely removed without damaging the underlying original paint?

B.   Its rack and pinion focuser is truly massive - with machined knobs - but I'm not sure it

is a true Super Focuser.   For starters, it has no focusing scale.   Its current adapters and

extension tubes only accommodate .965" and 1-1/4" accessories.   That alone would

seem to imply a Deluxe Focuser.    However, my 6" Fecker is equipped with an early (non-

focusing scale) unbranded Super Focuser.   It has an extension tube and adapter that can

thread directly to the 150's R&P main tube, that will in turn directly hold 2" accessories.   

So my question(s) are simply this:   

Can a Unitron garden-variety Deluxe Focuser be made to do that?   Or do I have an older

version of a Super Focuser that may be adaptable but was never specifically designed to

accommodate 2" components?

Folks, I know very little about Unitrons other than salivating about the larger ones for the past 

half-century.   Any enlightenment you could provide me here would be MUCH appreciated!

• Bomber Bob and shredder1656 like this

#2 J A VOLK

J A VOLK

Apollo

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:09 PM

Not all SuperFocusers had a focusing scale, however it is the only Unitron focuser that can be adapted to 2" without vignetting, as was done on the Vernonscope 94mm and 125mm scopes with lenses by Roland Christen (late 80's). I don't remember the exact dimensions, but if the drawtube is a bit over 2" diameter it is a SuperFocuser.

#3 Thaeland

Thaeland

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cibolo, Texas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

For latex paint soak it in Goo Gone Latex Paint Cleanup. It shouldn't bother the original paint.

Jon

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
  • Bomber Bob and Ben Bajorek like this

#4 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

The paint could be removed by using a plastic scraper so not to damage the paint under it.  Only the super focuser had the large diameter draw tube.   The regular focuser and the deluxe focuser did not have the very large drawtube which also would fit on the super unihex.  

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#5 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Davisville, MO

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

Excellent suggestions - thank you all.

I do think that I may be asking the wrong questions regarding Unitron focusers.....

Anyone here know the exact O.D. of the main tube (not the draw tube) emanating out of a Super Focuser:

the largest tube - the very first one - the one with the attached helical rack?

And is it always different from the 'racked tube' originating out of a Unitron Deluxe Focuser?

Edited by Bob Myler, 16 July 2019 - 05:30 PM.

#6 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

Here is a restoration thread I did on my early Unitron 150. I ended up having it powder coated. The original paint would flake off if you looked at it wrong.

https://www.cloudyni...age-fork-mount/

This is one of the few classics I have sold that I wish I would have kept (at times)...

Steve

Edited by sgorton99, 18 July 2019 - 07:15 AM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#7 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

When powder coating, it is important to mask off all threads (including threaded holes) and other surfaces where you do not want the coating. Once the coating is baked on, it's like a thin layer of ceramic, and very hard to remove.

I've had motorcycle parts powder coated, and if done properly it looks great. Big variety of colours and textures available these days.

Here is a restoration thread I did on my early Unitron 150. I ended up having it powder coated. The original paint would flake off if you looked at it wrong.

https://www.cloudyni...age-fork-mount/

This is one of the few classics I have sold that I wish I would have kept (at times)...

Steve

• sgorton99 likes this

#8 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

When powder coating, it is important to mask off all threads (including threaded holes) and other surfaces where you do not want the coating. Once the coating is baked on, it's like a thin layer of ceramic, and very hard to remove.

I've had motorcycle parts powder coated, and if done properly it looks great. Big variety of colours and textures available these days.

Yep!

Sacrificial screws can also be helpful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics