•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need Some Opinions on SLC 8x56 vs SF 8x42

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

I know these two bins are quite different animals, and each would have their own strength and weakness. So I will try to explain how I come to this debate and hope to get some feedback here.

Currently I have three binoculars seeing major usage, they are Zeiss Dialyt 7x42, SW SLC 8x56 and Nikon WX 10x50. During last year, the rate of use is ranked as Dialyt>WX>SLC. The use case of WX is obvious, in any trip with purpose of astronomical use / tourism sight seeing, WX is in my backpack. Dialyt on the lighter and tougher side, is normally used in short business trips with no planned sight seeing (small and light), in sailing / kayaking (tough, cost less if damaged by sea salt water), and in range (tough rubber armor). The SLC was bought with in mind of their super relax view and low light capability, but as I don't do hunting and the only low light application I have now rather than astronomical observation is searching my cats in backyard at night...And the other use case is when hiking with my wife, she will take the Dialyt and SLC will be on my neck.

I got a chance to use friend's E2 8x30 for several weeks, which I intended to compare with the Dialyt. But in one occasion I did compare it with my SLC 8x56 too, in daylight. Apart from the SLC being much easier to see through as it has both big exit pupil and long eye-relief, E2 with much bigger FOV (8.8 degree, similar to Dialyt, 8.6 degree, and WX, 9 degree) at 8x did made SLC 8x56 like a tube view (7.6 degree). Obviously E2 is limited in light throughput, but this actually brings up the question in my mind, if the Victory SF 8x42 (8.5 degree) would be a better choice than SLC 8x56 for me, on hiking/ cat searching/ or even short business trips?

• Grimnir and Pinac like this

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

Looks to me like you only need the WX and the Dialyt.

#3 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

Looks to me like you only need the WX and the Dialyt.

In most cases, yes. But still need another to use during hiking, as WX would make me 5mph slower than my wife....

I come to this idea after using E2 for weeks, because I was thinking, it would be nice if I can get an E2 with more comfortable views and night use performance while keeping its AFOV and size, then I may not need either Dialyt742 or SLC856

• ianatcn likes this

#4 Lt 26

Lt 26

Vanguard

• Loc: Northwest Illinois

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

I checked out a pair of Zeiss SF 8x42. The view was almost unbelievable, sharp and colorful. But I did not care for the rubber, it felt like it was not attached well.

Dereck

#5 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Vostok 1

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

kcl31, for hiking the 8x30/8x32 size and weight is nice, 8x42s are a little heavier but not too much.

However, is the Nikon E2 waterproof?  If not, is being waterproof for hiking an important factor for you?  I recently fell out of my kayak and was glad I didn't bring my Canon 10x30 IS.

#6 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

kcl31, for hiking the 8x30/8x32 size and weight is nice, 8x42s are a little heavier but not too much.

However, is the Nikon E2 waterproof?  If not, is being waterproof for hiking an important factor for you?  I recently fell out of my kayak and was glad I didn't bring my Canon 10x30 IS.

Thanks for the comments. No, I don't think E2 is waterproof, and so does my Dialyt. But I guess just splash proof is good enough for me including boating.

I'm thinking about the SF just because I'm considering to get a pair of 8x bins with similar AFOV of E2, but has bigger exit pupil to retire both my Swaro SLC 8x56 and Zeiss Dialyt 7x42. I put SLC 8x56 in title to compare as I know SF will be better than Dialyt in almost all aspect.

#7 dries1

dries1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

Take a look at the Nikon HG 8X42

8.3 degrees FOV, 144 m/1000m

a bit more than 17 mm eye relief

~24 ounces in weight

I did own the SF 8X42, it is large for an 8X42, while the optics are nice, to me, not as well constructed as the other premium glass from Leica or Swarovski. IMHO the FL models were built much better, as are the EDGs from Nikon. 

Both the FLs and EDGs are not made anymore, however they do come up for sale.

Good luck with your choice.

Andy W.

• Erik Bakker and Corcaroli78 like this

#8 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

Take a look at the Nikon HG 8X42

8.3 degrees FOV, 144 m/1000m

a bit more than 17 mm eye relief

~24 ounces in weight

I did own the SF 8X42, it is large for an 8X42, while the optics are nice, to me, not as well constructed as the other premium glass from Leica or Swarovski. IMHO the FL models were built much better, as are the EDGs from Nikon. 

Both the FLs and EDGs are not made anymore, however they do come up for sale.

Good luck with your choice.

Andy W.

Thanks for the advice, Andy. 

MHG 8x42 is truly an interesting option, as it might allow me to keep both SLC and Dialyt as well. I'm wondering when comparing with SF, what is the major optical disadvantage? Does it has good light shading to avoid side pupil/prism leak (which I heard MHG 8x30 suffers from)?

Thanks

#9 dries1

dries1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

I think it best for you to try them, only then you will know how it fits your facial structure and how the ergonomics feel to you. I have never viewed the 8X30 or the 10X30 MHGs, additionally I have not had any issues you have noted with the 8X42. They are a very easy glass to use.

Andy W.

#10 kcl31

kcl31

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Andy. I know I have to try one out to get the answer, but problem is I can't find any dealer has a Zeiss SF here in bay area....

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:16 AM

It is as Andy says IME. But if you can’t try them, just buy them with a good return policy. Current SF’s look better made to me than the early ones.

#12 dries1

dries1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:43 AM

kcl31,

My last statement was specific to the Nikon Monarch 8X42. Regarding the  SF 8X42, try B&H photo they have a good return policy. Other members will also provide vendors who provide returns without restocking fees.

The SF is long for a 8X42 and the eyecups had to be fully extended (I do not wear glasses), that is where the ergonomic issues started for me. I still own the Nikon Monarch 8X42. 

Andy W.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics