•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Patio Umbrella Cover - Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

I know, not an observatory per se... but I'm looking for something that might catch the odd rain or dew after a night of imaging.

The other morning my rig got caught in a rain storm that wasn't supposed to happen until the afternoon.   Anyway...

I've been using this just to keep the sun off the cover and myself as I fiddle about.
I though, hey if I could somehow raise this at a given time.   My StellarMate even has a dome feature that might be useful.

I know I could have some spring that has a trigger that releases, and lifts the umbrella up a given time/command. 

Has anyone done such a thing?
48301342306_035e175f10_n.jpg

2019_07_16_IMG_6857 by David Tate, on Flickr

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Skylab

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:22 PM

As long as it doesn't blow away --- that's a great idea!    Tom

#3 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Viking 1

• Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

I was looking to do something similar, however it was for covering the setup for a few days.

I have a proper scope/pier cover but it doesn’t reach the ground and it doesn’t cover the power supply and AC socket. I was looking for just the canvas and not the pole. It’s round, it large if it’s the 11 foot ones, has venting on top so moisture would have a way out and made to stay outdoors for a season or two. Bungee cord in a few spots and it should handle some bad weather.

Jess

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Long time member

• ***--
  • Loc: Chula Vista, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

I’m retired from law enforcement. Years ago my partner was late to work so I gave him a call to make sure everything was okay. He told me that he had to review his security camera footage to ID the miscreants that had moved his patio umbrella from his backyard to his front yard. We met up a little while later and he told me that he watched the wind rip the umbrella out of its mooring and blow it up and over his roof. 

I would only keep an umbrella next to my scope if I didn’t mind if the wind blew it, and my scope, to Oz. I think it’s a REALLY bad idea. 

• Megiddo likes this

#5 Megiddo

Megiddo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

Yes I agree... bad weather, the scope comes inside without a doubt.    Umbrella, yeah also comes inside (the shed).

The umbrella idea is only for a covering after my scope after parking at 3-4am.   I use Stellarmate (which I highly recommend)... and I schedule my scope to park at a given time.   I would like something to cover the scope between those hours until I wake up and go properly cover things up.   Bad weather on the way, the scope goes inside.   Good weather, the scope gets a reflective dust cover and waits for the next night's imaging (a rare thing lately).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics