•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Use Borg 100 f4 and f6.4 for visual use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nof

nof

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

Hello,

I have a Borg ED f/4 that is convertible to an f/6.4. I used this with a 6x7 film vacuum back for many years for photography and then for a time with a cooled CCD astro-camera. I find the whole digital astrophotography thing a bit cumbersome, too many cables and too much software. But I have my home observatory in a suburban location and thought this refractor might be nice to use for viewing, especially in the f/6.4 640mm configuration (though I need an adapter that I'm looking for to use the f/6.4 configuration with eyepieces, so I posted "Wanted" just now in classifieds). 

My question: since this wasn't really designed for visual use, it's a bit clumsy. Would I be better off selling this set-up to someone who might use it for photography and then purchase a decent refractor designed for visual use with the money? If so, what size and focal length should I consider? I have a good mount - an AP Mach 1 - but I need to keep in mind that I'm not going to drag this thing to a dark-site so it will be used only in suburban skies.

Thanks!

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

If it actually performs like a true F6.4 ED then it would be tempting. For GoTo operation in a light polluted environment I would sell it and get something bigger though. The appeal of small Apo is something small and light that you can pull out in a moments notice. Putting a 4” Apo on a Mach 1 tends to defeat the purpose of having a 4” Apo, unless you are imaging.

Basically if I’m going to drag out a Mach 1, and do a GoTo alignment, I’m going to put a decent size scope on it. The wide field capabilities of the F4 or F6.4 would be somewhat wasted in the city on a GoTo mount.

Scott
  • cookjaiii likes this

#3 nof

nof

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:38 PM

So what kind of refractor would you recommend for use in suburban skies? When going to dark skies I take my 10” f5 reflector. At home I have a choice of a Meade 8” sct and a 12” goto reflector. What refractor would be a good addition to this combo?
I did enjoy views the other night of M17 and M18 together in the same field even though the sky was not black

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics