•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Transitioning to the more complex

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 C&Hobbs

C&Hobbs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

Greetings everybody. I have been using the iOptron Skyguider Pro with a DSLR and have been imaging some bright dsos (m31 etc.) with some Milky Way mixed in. I have started to think about maybe upgrading equipment. To start, I might add guiding to the current set-up or something like a Pole Master to improve exposure time. I use the Zenithstar 61 APO that seems very common here on the forums. I am stuck on how to go about progressing to the next level. I don't want to buy equipment that I won't use later.

I want to get longer exposures with my current setup. But I also want to look to next year where I might upgrade to a better mount, CMOS camera, and guiding. I want to keep imaging dsos and nebula. The SGP would be the travel setup and the following would be the stationary setup. 

Desired eventual goal: EQ6-R mount. Stellarview SVX080T-25SV F/6 Triplet for imaging. +auto guiding. CMOS camera.

Would you go a guide cam/guide scope route that can be used for both systems? Which combination would you go with if that is even possible?

Is a guide system for both even possible? Forgive my ignorance. I am not sure if a small guide scope that fits within the weight limits of the SGP would work for a larger scope. I have looked into the Pole Master, but it seems that it doesn't exactly conform to the SGP. I have read of forcing the Pole Master to fit the SGP in a way that might cause it to be rather permanent. I want to be able to use a computer to polar align or guide, but not have to have a computer to use the SGP. So that is why I have not considered the iPolar for the SGP, because you need a computer then. Also, it wouldn't translate to the permanent rig.

I look forward to the community brainstorm. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Edited by C&Hobbs, 16 July 2019 - 04:00 PM.

#2 kisstek

kisstek

Ranger 4

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:25 PM

The Polemaster and the iPolar are NOT guide cameras. They are for doing the initial polar alignment. Once that's done, you put them back into your toolbox. Both require an external computer to run their software. Both would be useful for doing that initial polar alignment. The more accurate that is, the longer the unguided exposures you can take on the Skyguider. Both are potentially useful on a future mount. The Polemaster would be easier to find an adapter for said mount but the iPolar could be made to work too. (I use my Polemaster on my StarAdventurer and my AVX, now CEM60.)

Other than Trevor on Astrobackyard, I've never seen anyone try to guide one of the star trackers. Since they have such a limited weight capacity, most people don't want to use that capacity on a guide camera and guide scope. I'm sure there are more people who guide them than I'm aware of. I never tried guiding my StarAdventurer.

Edited by kisstek, 16 July 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#3 nimitz69

nimitz69

Apollo

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

I started out with a Sky Guider pro & D5300 and was doing 1 min subs with nice round stars by learning to do an accurate manual PA with the built in polar scope on the sKy Guider ... its not that hard to learn.

as far as upgrading I would not buy a Polemaster since its a $300 piece of equipment that only does one thing.  You’re far better off since you plan to guide to get a copy of. SharpCap pro which as a very slick routine to doing PA using the guide cam &. Guide. Scope you have ... and SharpCap is very capable s/w that you can use As your data acquisition s/w; guiding, focusing, live stacking, etc

Another thing to over right now is “buying once” is a lofty goal in theory but in practice is quite hard to do in AP since as your skills improve you’ll likely be interested in getting different equipment.  That being said, a short refractor, DSLR or dedicated OSC & the EQ6-R pro is something you likely never need to change . Just wander around astrobin and look at all the images done with DSLRs or the 294 MC pro and EQ6-R...

Edited by nimitz69, 16 July 2019 - 04:55 PM.

• C&Hobbs likes this

#4 C&Hobbs

C&Hobbs

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

The Polemaster and the iPolar are NOT guide cameras. They are for doing the initial polar alignment. Once that's done, you put them back into your toolbox. Both require an external computer to run their software. Both would be useful for doing that initial polar alignment. The more accurate that is, the longer the unguided exposures you can take on the Skyguider. Both are potentially useful on a future mount. The Polemaster would be easier to find an adapter for said mount but the iPolar could be made to work too. (I use my Polemaster on my StarAdventurer and my AVX, now CEM60.)

Other than Trevor on Astrobackyard, I've never seen anyone try to guide one of the star trackers. Since they have such a limited weight capacity, most people don't want to use that capacity on a guide camera and guide scope. I'm sure there are more people who guide them than I'm aware of. I never tried guiding my StarAdventurer.

I understand these are polar alignment. I am looking for equipment that would increase my exposure times with the SGP in addition to being able to transition to a more permanent setup. I stated I wasn't considering iPolar. I like being able to use the basic polar scope of the SGP if wanted. So I am looking to add equipment that will let me guide or obtain a more precise polar alignment, that could also work with the  EQ6-R mount. Stellarview SVX080T-25SV F/6 Triplet for imaging. +auto guiding. CMOS camera. Plenty of people are guiding the SGP, with ZWO mini scopes etc. 

as far as upgrading I would not buy a Polemaster since its a $300 piece of equipment that only does one thing.  You’re far better off since you plan to guide to get a copy of. SharpCap pro which as a very slick routine to doing PA using the guide cam &. Guide. Scope you have ... and SharpCap is very capable s/w that you can use As your data acquisition s/w; guiding, focusing, live stacking, etc

Another thing to over right now is “buying once” is a lofty goal in theory but in practice is quite hard to do in AP since as your skills improve you’ll likely be interested in getting different equipment.  That being said, a short refractor, DSLR or dedicated OSC & the EQ6-R pro is something you likely never need to change . Just wander around astrobin and look at all the images done with DSLRs or the 294 MC pro and EQ6-R...

Thanks Nimitz for your input. I think you graciously helped my out prior on these forums. That is what I was leaning towards: guiding and Sharpcap. (as discussed previously) It will allow me to get precise alignment with guiding. I am trying to figure out if I can get a guide scope/guide camera that would work for both the SGP and desired, more permanent setup?

I thought I would get more input with a dedicated thread. 

Edited by C&Hobbs, 16 July 2019 - 09:30 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics