•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron iPolar Usage with Mac Computer

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 moligpy

moligpy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

It seems iOptron has just released the macOS app of iOptron iPolar:

https://apps.apple.c...5698?ls=1&mt=12

#27 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

This is good news as it does annoy me having to use Parallels. It’s fine once it’s set up but I’m always having to re-enable the USB mappings.

I suspect quite a few people would have preferred to see iOS and Android done first so there is a more portable solution. I’ll have a look around to see if anything is emerging.

#28 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

Nothing for iOS though. Just looked.

#29 wvreeven

wvreeven

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

Great news, thanks! Too bad they charge €9.99 for it though. I hope they will make Mac (and Linux) drivers for the camera available as well.

#30 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Very unimpressed about the $10 fee, considering they already took my money for the camera.

#31 suvowner

suvowner

Messenger

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:53 PM

has anyone actually tried it yet ?

#32 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:53 PM

Had a go tonight. I can’t say I was impressed though how much of that was due to transient setup problems I can’t say.

1. The star window is very small and does not appear to stretch when the window is expanded.

2. I got multiple errors that it could not connect to ipolar. I had to go into the security part of the system preferences to enable the camera connection.

3. I did then manage to connect and set latitude etc.

4. The most worrying thing was that the display flicked between claiming a plate solve and failing. I got the round red circle but *No Cross* to line it up with. So I just parked the circle in the centre of the display and mapped the goto with three star alignment and got a few images that were a bit traily in parts.

5. I switched to the latest Windows version under parallels and sadly got the same alternating between failing and finding 20 stars.

So not a great first outing. I’m wondering if I have contention for the camera between windows and Mac causing the flickering. I’ll go through the set up again to see if I can find out where the alignment cross went.

Im reporting what happened to me, though I might well have fouled something up. I’ll persevere but would really appreciate hearing about other people’s experiences especially they indicate that I am doing something stupid.
  • suvowner likes this

#33 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

Whoa, so they supply this polar alignment camera with their mounts, but if you want to actually use it, you have to pay an additional $10 for the software? Ludicrous.

• ThatsMyCoffee likes this

#34 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

Whoa, so they supply this polar alignment camera with their mounts, but if you want to actually use it, you have to pay an additional $10 for the software? Ludicrous.

The Windows version is free to download from the ioptron web site. This is a charge for their new MacOS version. I’ve got mixed feelings about the charge, but given the general neglect of MacOS in the telescope world I’m comfortable with a small charge to get a native version.

Edited by UKalwayscloudy, 18 January 2020 - 08:27 AM.

• suvowner likes this

#35 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

Night 2 with Mac version

Much better experience tonight. Maybe rebooting the Mac has sorted out the USB ports or something but this time the Mac version plate solved ok, no flickering and both and dot and a cross appeared. I’ve lowered the resolution of the display and the star map is now much easier to see. I suspect ioptron have written this first version with a static window so have played safe assuming a lower res. So magnify.

I think to go through all the parameters more carefully now including all the position 1 2 etc as the windows and Mac version are showing the celestial pole in a slightly different place. That’s probably me needing to fix a setting.

So if you try this don’t worry if it’s a bit odd at first and be sure to check your security settings to make sure ipolar is allowed to access the camera.

#36 marinaldi

marinaldi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:55 PM

No, I don't use it.  I literally only use the iPolar and shut Parallels off.  The rest of my gear is run on the Mac, with Cloudmakers software.

I definitely vouch for Cloudmakers software.  I've been using AstroDSLR and now with my new ZWO 294 I'm using Astroimager.  Love both products!  Also using PHD2 for Mac as my guiding software.  I just saw that iPolar is now available for the Mac from the Appstore.  Downloaded (for $10) and will try it next clear night.

Edited by marinaldi, 28 January 2020 - 06:04 PM.

#37 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

Night 2 with Mac version

Much better experience tonight. 

How did you calibrate?  I am able to see an image and get the circle, but no "X" because I'm not able to set the centre position.

All I see is where I can manually enter X & Y manually.  No clue what those values should be, so I'm stuck.  What did you do next?

#38 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:31 PM

I need to go through it all again as I’m moving ipolar to an older macbook so I don’t have to take my new one out. I’ll document it properly. I can’t remember what I did in what order to be honest. Sorry. I’m rubbish at creating systematic protocols. But have you followed the instructions In the manual for confirming the three positions with the mount rotated by 90 deg twice.

#39 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:17 AM

But have you followed the instructions In the manual for confirming the three positions with the mount rotated by 90 deg twice.

No, because there isn't a manual.  Where did you find one?

I have it for Windows, but not the mac.

#40 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:26 AM

No, because there isn't a manual.  Where did you find one?

I have it for Windows, but not the mac.

Sorry, I meant the Windows manual - in these respects I think the interface is the same. 

#41 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

In Windows:  Position 1, button press.  Position 2, button press.  Position 3, button press.

On the Mac, there is no button to press (that I've found.)

#42 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:29 AM

I've tried again.  I now have a "confirm Position1" button.  But it doesn't seem to do anything.

Still waiting to hear from iOptron.  I guess that may be some time coming...

#43 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

This is supposed to go on to the next position when you rotate the mount 90 degrees. But I recall the early Windows versions stuck at this point. I’m going out to reload my software and see I can replicate.

#44 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

This is supposed to go on to the next position when you rotate the mount 90 degrees. But I recall the early Windows versions stuck at this point. I’m going out to reload my software and see I can replicate.

I put it through all three positions and it did plate solve at each stop.  But the button doesn't change.  Still stuck and no clear nights to play with it.  :(

#45 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

I’m just outside and have reloaded the app onto a fresh MacBook to start again. I am actually stuck on the Lat and long settings as

(A) it’s not clear it these are HMS or decimal
(B) whatever I put in the longitude field it gets wiped to zero when I hit confirm.

There was actually a new windows update to 2.1 and there is a new manual both in late January and the manual now only shows two positions to be confirmed and it makes it clear that any two positions more than 45 degrees apart
Will do. But I can’t now get the confirm position
Buttons to become active now. Sorry I have gone backwards in this. Does anyone have the Mac version and have a resolution of A and B above?

I am working in daylight right now to try to do some setup in the light. I’ll have another go later and plug in the previous computer running parallels and now with ipolar 2.10. The Mac version is 1.1. Hmmmm

#46 doole

doole

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:18 PM

Asiair can do polar alignment through the main camera, if you’e got a compatible one.

#47 wvreeven

wvreeven

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:32 PM

So can Ekos, which is a module of KStars and uses INDI instead of ASCOM just like ASIAir does. See

https://indilib.org/

• Lead_Weight likes this

#48 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:14 PM

I'm in touch with ioptron tech support now. Will report back. 

#49 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

I’ve just had another go in the dark and my inconsistent results look like they might be being confounded by OS and or hardware. My 2011 MacBook Pro running High Sierra is playing up as noted above, but my 2018 MBP running Mojave is looking fine. It took lat and long fine, the allowed
Me to confirm 3 positions, then secure polar alignment. The older machine under 10.13 is stuck on the failed longitude entry. I did a 3 star alignment for the goto.

Confusing things are the lack of sync between windows and Mac. As far as I can tell

Windows now uses 2 positions to check camera postion, MacOS 3
Windows uses deg min sec, MacOS looks decimal

I’m running a bunch of subs on Orion now so we shall see. Plate solving on both win 2.1 and Mac 1.1 seems faster now
Somehow.

I’ll wait to see what iOptron tech has to say. Newer hardware and OS looks better than older.

#50 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:32 AM

OK, so the fog is lifting. Apologies for creating some confusion as I changed Mac in the middle of this and one was behaving a little differently from the other. I have also had some communication from iOptron.

1. Make sure you are running Mac version 1.1 or Windows version 2.1. They both have a new plate-solving engine.

2. There is only a Windows manual AFAIK, and the Mac version deviates from it in some areas. So the things I know that are confirmed are (a) on the Mac version the Lat and Long are indeed in decimal degree form and not deg, min, sec as they are on Windows (b) the Mac version indeed wants 3 positions confirmed whereas Windows wants 2. Having your scope roughly left, middle and right seems fine on Mac and on Windows two positions at right angles will do.

3. The problems I was having with lat and long entry seemed to be link to which MacOS I had. On my newer 2018 MacBook Pro running Mojave I just confirmed the changes, but ioptron told me I must hit ENTER first and this has now successfully allowed me to get the lat and long in on my 2011 machine running High Sierra. No idea what that as about. Just hit enter before confirm. Whatever. 

My first go at Orion was a bit sabotaged by light pollution as it was only a few degrees away from a bright half+ moon. But it was tracking fine. Some frames had a bit of a sideways blip to brighter stars but might have been wind or the mount shifting on my annoying non-flat cobbles.

So I am more de-confused and will try the position confirmation again on my older machine. On the newer one I pressed Clear Centre of Camera, rotated the mount to 3 different positions and did confirm position 1, 2,3 etc to get the system going an then imaging. One thing to try if the confirm position routine fails (I did this under Windows to start with as I had no idea then as well how to get the confirm position doodah working) was just enter the default values. As the manual says: "You may also manually enter the rotation center, X=480, Y=640, for rough alignment".  

Apologies if I am now merely up to speed with others. I'll recheck the confirm position routine on my old hardware the next clear night. If anyone does not know where this stuff is, the MacOS link is above and the windows manual (the only one for now) and Windows software 2.1 are all linked from:

https://www.ioptron....duct-p/3339.htm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics