•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show us your 0.965" EPs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tropobob

Tropobob

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:52 PM

I have built up quite a collection over the years. I use them on my 60 & 75mm Unitrons, however, I have used the 1.25" adaptor to try them on other scopes.

They are my little antiques from a bygone era. It's not logical to have so many, but the upside is that they do not take up much space.

Do you have a collection?

If so, how about showing them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0.965 EPs 012.jpg

• Astrojensen, steve t and bbqediguana like this

#2 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: High and Dry

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:05 PM

In the late 1970's and early 1980's (at least) Meade made a nice, affordable set of Orthoscopics and "Modified Achromatics" (Kellners) in .965" that were a great addition to any .965 telescope. They took away the "peepsight" stigma of the .965's and made the .965 telescopes almost as pleasurabIe to use as the 1-1/4's. I had a small set of them I used on my Unitron Q Scope. They were far, far, beyond the Unitron and Tasco eyepieces. I wish I still had them.

Edited by NinePlanets, 16 July 2019 - 08:06 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and Tropobob like this

#3 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

This is my Tanzutsu 6mm Ortho which used to be my main high power eyepiece until I replaced it with a 1.25" Fujiyama 6mm Ortho.

Tanzutsu 6mm Ortho (0.965")

• steve t and Tropobob like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

In the late 1970's and early 1980's (at least) Meade made a nice, affordable set of Orthoscopics and "Modified Achromatics" (Kellners) in .965" that were a great addition to any .965 telescope. They took away the "peepsight" stigma of the .965's and made the .965 telescopes almost as pleasurabIe to use as the 1-1/4's. I had a small set of them I used on my Unitron Q Scope. They were far, far, beyond the Unitron and Tasco eyepieces. I wish I still had them.

If I remember correctly, they were the 0.965" versions of the Meade Series 2 Orthos and MAs.  I think there was even a 40mm version. Over the years, I have had a number of 0.965" eyepieces but I think I only have one left. I have given them to beginners with scopes with 0.965" focusers.  

My favorites, not because of their optics but well, just because, are the color coded eyepiece sets that came with Sears and other scopes.  

Also, the simplicity of some of the longer focal length eyepieces from the classic era.  All brass with only two elements.  But unlike today's eyepieces, they were made to be taken apart and cleaned by the owner/user.  That pretty awesome.  It's takes a lot of courage to dive into to Plossl or Ortho, I can't imagine disassembling an Ethos.. 

Jon

• steve t and Tropobob like this

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

My collection has one sample: Pentax O18. I really like that eye piece for planetary and compact DSO. I hope to find an orphaned O12 I can take in...

Photo as soon as I can.

Edited by macdonjh, 17 July 2019 - 05:30 PM.

• Tropobob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics