•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Lx90 Handcontroller problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redballoon

redballoon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:32 AM

Hello all, I have question with the scope's 497 handcontroller. I have been using the telescope for almost 9 years and suddenly this year the controller went crazy. sometimes it shows spanish language, sometimes a weird glyph words and sometimes there's nothing at all on the screen. I went to a dealer after that and bought a new same type of controller. It worked okay for a day or two, but after that it went crazy again. Brought it back to the dealer to check it again, but it worked fine with his meade telescope. Somehow when we connect it back to our scope the controller went crazy. Any idea how to solve this?

#2 EdIII

EdIII

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florence, SC

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:23 AM

That’s a new one for me. Have you tried another cable?  If so, look at the cable contacts in your handbox port. Is your scope getting a reliable 12 volts?

#3 redballoon

redballoon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

That’s a new one for me. Have you tried another cable?  If so, look at the cable contacts in your handbox port. Is your scope getting a reliable 12 volts?

Haven't tried another cable. Already tried cleaning the cable contacts and still the same. Yes, it is. and I sometimes switch to the batteries as well. Still got the same result.

Do you think it has something to do with the cable?

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

The weirdness is actually more likely corrupted firmware.  I bought an LX200 GPS that was doing the same thing and wound up reinstalling the firmware and everything cleared up.   

#5 EdIII

EdIII

Vostok 1

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

It indeed does act like a firmware problem, but if I understand correctly, the 200 has firmware on the scope/mount and the 90 has firmware in the handset. That makes them different. Since two different handsets have been tried, with the same result, I can’t see the problem being the handset or the firmware. What’s left ?? It may not be a cable problem, but that is the next thing I would eliminate as a possible problem.

Ed

#6 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:02 PM

Gday RedBalloon

I agree with Ed

In the 497s, the LCD screen is hard coupled to the main CPU in the Hbx

If 2 handboxes play up on your mount, but not the mount in the shop,

then the only thing i can think of is there is some noise from your home power supply

or something else is coming back via the cables and upsetting the handset.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#7 redballoon

redballoon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:55 PM

It indeed does act like a firmware problem, but if I understand correctly, the 200 has firmware on the scope/mount and the 90 has firmware in the handset. That makes them different. Since two different handsets have been tried, with the same result, I can’t see the problem being the handset or the firmware. What’s left ?? It may not be a cable problem, but that is the next thing I would eliminate as a possible problem.

Ed

could it be the motherboard inside the mount itself?

#8 redballoon

redballoon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:58 PM

Gday RedBalloon

I agree with Ed

In the 497s, the LCD screen is hard coupled to the main CPU in the Hbx

If 2 handboxes play up on your mount, but not the mount in the shop,

then the only thing i can think of is there is some noise from your home power supply

or something else is coming back via the cables and upsetting the handset.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Gday Andrew

I think we can eliminate my home power supply because like I said, sometimes I will change it to batteries. Unless the batteries are weak that is.

Haven't tested it out with other cables but as far as i am concerned, the handboxes worked well with the shop's mount using my cable.

But will try using other cable with my mount

#9 EdIII

EdIII

Vostok 1

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:57 AM

Guess I missed that in your earlier posts. Sounds like you tried your cable as well as your handbox when you tried them at the shop. Well, seems there is nothing left but something in your mount. I have never seen a schematic of that scope, so looks like I am out of ideas. Is a schematic available?

When the problem is found, please report here so we can learn from your experience.

Ed

Edited by EdIII, 18 July 2019 - 05:58 AM.

#10 redballoon

redballoon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

Guess I missed that in your earlier posts. Sounds like you tried your cable as well as your handbox when you tried them at the shop. Well, seems there is nothing left but something in your mount. I have never seen a schematic of that scope, so looks like I am out of ideas. Is a schematic available?

When the problem is found, please report here so we can learn from your experience.

Ed

schematic as in how?

still haven't rectified the problem. I also have no idea what's going on. it's stressing me out :(

#11 EdIII

EdIII

Vostok 1

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

I hope someone else has ideas. I have come to the end of mine. I say schematic as in a wiring diagram for the mount. It would tell us where the wires that connect to the handbox port go. Could be a loose connection with one of those.......or ???

Ed

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics