•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Constellations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:52 AM

I've had my eye on this book by Govert Schilling since it came out about a month ago.  This last week, Books-a-Million had a Penny a Page sale and I just couldn't pass it up.  After ponying up my $2.00 for this $30.00 book, I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with it.  The constellation charts included in the book are by Wil Tirion and are very nice.

Constellations.jpg

It's more a coffee table type of book, but it has some interesting information in it.  For example, the section on Aquarius mentions that Galileo first viewed Saturn and it's two companions (how he described the rings) very near Iota Aqr.  Then 236 years later, Johann Gottfried Galle discovered Neptune just a couple degrees away!

There does seem to be a good number of typo's in the text and this kinda makes you want to cringe given the otherwise good quality of the pictures and especially the charts.  I think the book is worthwhile if you are looking for a casual, yet informative read and can enjoy the very nice graphics.

• George N, Carl Kolchak, pugliano and 1 other like this

#2 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:53 AM

Hi Brent,

It seems and interesting book. If allowed by CN, could you share a pic from a sample page?

Many thanks!

Carlos

#3 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

Sure.  Although I'm not encouraging you to buy the book from Amazon, they do have a nice preview here...

#4 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:24 PM

Looks good. Thanks. Just ordered it. Would rather have gotten it for $2, but hey...

• brentknight likes this

#5 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:56 PM

Yeah. It was literally a steal. I hope you enjoy it...

• pugliano likes this

#6 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:15 PM

Received the book today. Nice! Great photos of the highlights of each constellation, and good Wil Tirion maps.

• brentknight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics