•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guidescopes... various manufacturers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cliff U.

Cliff U.

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Long Beach, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:44 AM

I am trying to pick my first guidescope and have no real experience in connecting and operating one. After looking at several models I am leaning towards a 60mm to pair up with my first refractor (ES ED102 CF). After a few searches several brands pop up in comparison to the Orion 60mm. The links below are just a few examples. Looking at the photos they all look like the same scope IMHO and can't tell if there are quality issues with lower priced offerings.

Orion 60mm F4

SVBONY SV106 60mm F4

Astromania 60mm

Solomark F60 60mm F3.4

Gosky 60mm

Another possible for a guidescope would be the ZWO 60mm

On a different note figuring out what I will need to mount it on the ES ED102 CF.  A 7" Los Mandy dovetail bar to replace the top handle and a ZWO ASI290MM monochrome camera as a guide camera. Telescope, guidescope and camera will be ordered after I figure it all out. Comments welcomed.

#2 SKYROCKET

SKYROCKET

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

do not buy from 3rd party at amazon had bad experience 

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:57 AM

They *are* all the same guide scope.  Made in the same factory.

What they might not all be is "equal."

Some of the end-destination vendors check out the arrivals, and reject complete lemons.  Some don't.  Some set minimum specs (for the optics, for accessories, etc.) for delivery from the factory, some don't.  

So it's possible you could order one from each of those vendors, and get multiple good copies of the exact same scope.  Or you could get some good ones, some bad ones.

So when you order one, order it from someplace where you have a good return/exchange policy -- and take advantage of it if you get a lemon.

But in general, any decent copy of that scope will do just fine for your needs.

#4 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

I got the Astromania (50mm) and I think it is fine. It does have metal adjustment screws with plastic tips.

I bought it through Amazon, but from Astromania Optics.

I also am using the ZWO ASI290MM-Mini.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics