•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My 1957 Mayflower 76mm

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Beastmaster

Beastmaster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

I have one as well! Hmmm, what don't I have at LEAST one of? I would read the serial number of RAO telescopes as...

first digit year in 1960's.   6 would be 1966

second two digits aperture. 70 or 71 would be 76mm

last three digits sequence in the year.

I don't understand how changes in decades were indicated. I have never heard what the significance of the 70 or 71 is. I don't believe it is a decade change i.e. yours 1956 (70) mine 1968 (71). Stephen hopefully will have thoughts on that.

EDIT: I incorrectly was thinking my serial number for the Mayflower was 871734 but it is 770734. I had an RAO Sears that was 272XXX which was circa 1962. I have a Lafayette RAO that is 070XXX with a 1960 sales receipt. Another example is the Sears 6345 90mm. They are all 990XXX indication 1969 manufacture and I believe all (maybe 400) were offered in 1970. I had a few Tasco 10te scopes that I gave away or sold. I didn't record those serial numbers and have deleted the label photos from my library since losing them. Hopefully now some of you are as confused as I am. 

Those are beautiful photos of the Mayflowers and boxes - makes me envious seeing them in such pristine shape.  I have two Mayflowers (an 815 H.O.C. and 816 RAO) that are not in such good shape.  Whenever I bring a telescope out, I make sure I have at least one of them out in part to compare to and because they are a true joy to use.

Thanks for sharing the serial number interpretation.  My 816 serial number is 872021 I guess putting it as a 1966 manufacturer?.  Perhaps the difference between 70-71-72 is whether RAO sold enough to warrant increasing the third digit.  Too bad my 815 H.O.C. doesn't have a serial number to date frown.gif

Any suggestions to touch up / repaint the tubes?  I read white appliance spray paint can work.

Fred 

Edited by Beastmaster, 21 July 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#27 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

Any suggestions to touch up / repaint the tubes?  I read white appliance spray paint can work.

Fred 

I've had fairly good luck with it, repainting the two Jaegers. It takes a lot longer (up to a month, I've been told) to really cure than the label indicates --  easily scratches prior to that. I made a rotisserie for the tube by using the tube itself to cut through some 2" thick styrofoam, making plugs that fit snuggly in each end. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole through the center of each plug and put a long dowel through both. Put the ends of the dowel on a couple of sawhorses and turned the tube continuously as I sprayed it. Kept turning afterward until the paint was setting up and wouldn't run. Nasty chemicals though -- needs to be done outside on a day with a light breeze, away from everything else. Made a nice, solid, shiny, smooth, white finish. 

Chip W. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics