•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter w/GRS & Blue Streak 2019-07-17

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Outback NT, Australia

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:04 AM

G'day all,

For a mild jet stream (15 m/s and slowing), seeing was pretty abysmal for this evening's GRS transit. There was a near-constant, very high-frequency component to the turbulence that prevented sharpening on the screen. I couldn't get the leading edge of Jupiter's disk sharp at all, and Io barely registered, flickering brightly every once-in-a-while. Thankfully, there was no fast tilt component, so I had no trouble keeping the disk on the screen…

001-008_derotated_4.45ppAd2.jpg

Jupiter 2019-07-17 10:49 UTC

Skywatcher 180 Mak-Cass

Fujiyama 12.5mm orthoscopic

Canon T3i (8.6 fps)

There's most certainly some blue getting churned up upstream of the GRS…

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 17 July 2019 - 08:20 AM.

• eros312 and DMach like this

#2 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:26 AM

Nice one BQ!

I also noticed a blue feature in the wake of the GRS when capturing some data last night ... it was so prominent that it was clear even in the noisy raw frames. Processing the data now ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics