•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Atlas Power Method: Cigarette Lighter Plug Adapter or New Outlet Plug?

Orion mount accessories astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 benringel22

benringel22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Peoria, IL

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of learning how to image and had a question about my mount. I am in the process of purchasing a used Orion Atlas EQ-G, which comes with the standard cigarette lighter plug. Where I will be imaging, however, I will be able to access power from an outlet, and will not need to rely on a power pack or car battery. I am wondering if instead of purchasing an outlet plug (see first link below) I can possibly purchase an adapter plug (see second link), which can be used for other purposes as well.

Does anyone know if this is a smart idea? The last thing I want to do is fry my mount day one...

Thanks everyone!

Ben

Link to the new outlet plug:

https://www.telescop...ikaArrmEALw_wcB

Link to the adapter:

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-3

#2 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

Yes the second one will work fine.

Frankly, I'd just get rid of the cigarette lighter connection anyway - they are not a good solid connection and not very reliable, plus you will need other power at the mount for things like a computer, cooler for the camera, dew heaters etc depending on your setup. Probably the best solution is to use a generic 12v PSU capable of supplying enough amps of current for your needs (10+ would be fine probably, but a 30A PSU intended for HAM radio use is a good option as well with tons of capacity and normally good control of noise), then connect that to an Anderson powerpole type distribution board on the mount with cables from that to your various 12v power consumers. I think the atlas will be the same as my AZ-EQ-6 and if so it uses a 2-pin GX12 aviation connector for power.

#3 BJ4232

BJ4232

Lift Off

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

Ben,

AC to the 12 Female cigarette adapter is a much better option, as it will allow flexibility with any other 12 cig connections you may have (or later acquire).  

I have one of these adapters, and pair it with this 2 way splitter to also run my other accessories. 

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Outlet plug is a bit pricey, and while it generates 2.1 Amps (enough for the EQ-G), it will limit you to using it for just this. You may end up with half a dozen of all different types and a big mess of tangled wires. confused1.gif

But there seems to be a move away from the Cig type connectors. They look like RC45 and look easier to deal with. I have all sorts of 12V Cig adapters before I became aware of using a different format, and while my adapters work, I wish I would have looked further into it before dumping $15 here and $20 there. I could start over, but it works- so I leave it be... 

Anyway as long as your adapter provides enough amps at 12 V you should be good. My EQ-6 draws about 1.5A. The one you linked has 10A output. 

Always better to have more amps than less, as the mount will draw what it needs. (Not the same with Volts, which I learned the hard way, but that's another story... smile.gif )

Bill

• jdupton likes this

#4 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

I recommend getting the OEM power supply. It's a bit pricey, but you can be more assured that there won't be an issue, and if there issue they can't blame it on compatibility.

#5 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

Ben,

Either of the adapters you linked will work. I would also prefer the second "power brick" version over the "wall wart" version.

Both connectors are good for your Atlas EQG mount. The Atlas uses a standard 5.5 mm / 2.1 mm DC power plug. With the first unit, you can simply plug the AC adapter into your 110 volt power and plug into the mount and you're ready. With the second linked power adapter, you plug it into 110 v and then plug your Atlas power cable into it. 

With the extra current capability of the second unit, you can use a 12 v automotive power splitter to also power other accessories you have. There are hundreds of versions and manufacturers to choose from. I used one similar to the following for many years with my portable set-up.

https://www.amazon.c...&ref=nb_sb_noss

John

#6 benringel22

benringel22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Peoria, IL

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

All,

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the feedback.

I think I may end up purchasing an adapter (the second option) based on everyone's comments. My main concern is accidentally frying the mount, and it sounds like as long as I supply the correct voltage (12 V), the mount will draw whatever current it requires.

Thank you all again; I am very encouraged by the support of this community!

Best Regards,

Ben

• boothee likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orion, mount, accessories, astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics