•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Longomontanus and Z sizes ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rutherford Co, TN

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

One of my favorite Southern Highland craters is Longomontanus. I was recently reading information on it and it's sub crater Z. It is stated that Longo, itself, is 145km and Z has a diameter of 96km, which are incredible numbers in their own right. What surprised me though is that the floor of sub crater Z is 300km higher than that of Longo itself. Can that be right? That's 186 miles! That means the difference of their floor depths is, more or less, the distance from Chicago to Indianapolis?     

• Barlowbill likes this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Soyuz

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

Typo for metres, presumably.

#3 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

I was thinking it was surely a typo too. 

#4 John_Moore

John_Moore

Author: Craters of the Nearside Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:40 AM

Charles, I'm sure it's not a coincidence, but I'm probably the culprit for the obvious typo - one or two gets through (have updated), and yes, Longomontanus is a wonderful sight with so much going on in its floor and surrounds.

John Moore

LongoTypo 300km should be 300m

Edited by Jayem, 18 July 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#5 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

Hey John. You are right. It is from your book Craters of the Near Side Moon. I have the review of the one you sent me ready and have for a while. I took some pix of some pages but I can't seem to get them onto the computer. I took them with my phone, resized them and emailed them to myself and I can't seem to log into my email on the computer. Everything I do, it sends a variation to my phone and them keeps having me try to log in again, over and over. I don't want to post the review without pix, it will look weird. The other alternative is to write the review with my phone's little onscreen keyboard with would be a major frustration.

• gustavo_sanchez likes this

#6 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:55 AM

Ah, thanks, Charles for interest in the book - I kinda guessed the typo was mine, as when looking it up in my files, the 300 km error had to be 3000 metres (or, in meters, as you Americans might spell it wink.gif ).

As to your electronic problems, I can never understand why such devices behave like this; especially when one hasn't done anything to it like, say, dropped it, turned it off inappropriately etc., etc. One day it's working, the next...phewey mad.gif

John

Edited by Jayem, 18 July 2019 - 02:29 PM.

#7 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hi John,

It appears to me, based on LRO measurements, that the floor of "Z" is closer to 3 kilometers, nearly 3000m higher than Longomontanus.  See below.

elevation_profile.jpg

lro_screenshot_longomontanus.jpg

• gustavo_sanchez likes this

#8 John_Moore

John_Moore

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:31 PM

Oh, thanks, Tom...I do these measurements all the time, but in this case didn't check it out as I'm currently engrossed in too much work (well, that's what one gets for being careless). Have corrected the image above.

Cheers

John

#9 cpsTN

cpsTN

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

I will keep trying, John and reading your books. ...and Yes, it is METERS here.

• John_Moore likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics