•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Equipment decisions - Canon APS-C

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stille

Stille

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

Hello!

I'm a complete newb at astrophotography (and photography in general) - I've been mostly playing at widefields with a Canon 350D and a Tamron 16-300 f3.5-6.3 lens until now, enough to figure out that I love this (https://i.imgur.com/BkX7fph.jpg is probably my best one yet). I'm trying to figure out what would be a good direction for equipment upgrade, especially camera-wise.

I only get regular access to dark skies when trekking in the mountains, though, so that brings in a couple limitations:

• First and most important one is weight. I can maybe find room for another lens in my backpack (the Tamron sees heavy use during the day) and one of those clockwork tracking mounts, and the camera usually stays on my hip where every extra gram hurts (I'm stubborn rather than strong :) ), so full-frame DSLRs or the heavier sort of APS-C such as the 70D are out
  • The second one is battery power - I'm currently carrying extra batteries for the 350D but I'd like to be able to stop doing that
  • Third... most of my fellow hikers are also on Canon DSLRs, so I'd prefer staying on a Canon DSLR as well, since it means we can share lenses. 

Given these conditions, I realize I'm not going to get the optimal camera for astrophoto. That's fine - I just want something as good as it gets given my limitations. I'm not sure what I should look for, though. The 250D looks like it'd be great for daytime work - it's light and has great battery life, and good DxoMark scores for the sensor - but I'm not sure how it'd handle itself in an astrophoto situation. Are there any sources I should read on this, or is there anyone here who has been doing astrophoto on cropped Canon DSLRs and can tell me what that's like?

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

I have had a Canon T3i for years,  and mine has just started to show some bad pixel rows.  The T3i is probably one of the more common Canon cameras used for Astro-photography, but they are an older model.  Mine did not do well in warm weather.  The noise increased dramatically.   One of the features I really liked about the T3i is that live screen swiveled out and rotated, so you did not have to get in awkward positions to use it.

My recommendation is to get one of the later versions of the same series, say a ?T6i?,  if you want to stick with Canon.

#3 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Soyuz

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:34 AM

I would recommend either the Canon 80D, 77D, or T7i.  They all have a new Canon sensor that greatly reduces noise.  I just purchased the T7i but haven't used it yet.  The SL3 also has the sensor, but it also has reduced capabilities.

#4 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

I have an 80D and a couple of 100D's (one modified) and I think that you are right on the money with the 200D or 250D. The weight difference after a couple of hours walking up hill makes up for the lack of features, IMHO.

I prefer the 80D overall but if I'm hiking or traveling, the compromise isn't that much.

Steve.

#5 Stille

Stille

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:28 AM

I don't think I need a lot of features - I'm quite happy with what my 350D does, if not the image quality, after all. And apart from the lightness, 1k shots per battery sounds amazing - I get that this is in no-liveview conditions, but that's how I shoot anyway :)

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

If you like the 350D you might love the 450D if you can find one. I also used the 350D and 400D, and the 450D was a significant improvement and the reason that I used DSLRs for so long (including the 550D and 600D). The 450D features a low noise APS-c sensor, a 14 bit ADC (the biggest improvement for me) and surprisingly long battery life. It is still one of my favorite DSLRs.

Food for thought.

#7 Stille

Stille

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:48 PM

Going by dxomark, sensor performance on the 450D seems very similar to the 350D - what am I missing?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics